[TR] Diamond Peak - Pioneer Gulch 2/1/2011

dirtysouth

Trip: Diamond Peak - Pioneer Gulch

Date: 2/1/2011

Trip Report:

We were able to drive up to about 4400 feet on road 1249. After parking and grabbing our stuff, we hiked/skinned up through road 2160 up towards the mountain from there. A fast and hard snowpack made it easy to bootpack or snowshoe up. The snow softened up a little bit as the day progressed, but forecasted temps were in the 20's which kept everything stable and fast. Left the car at 11, topped out at 4, and we were back down by 6, spending 30 minutes up top. First time on Diamond for both of us - we were stoked!!!

Finding the ridge

IMG_1547.JPG

Higher on the ridge

IMG_15692.JPG

Arriving at the false summit

IMG_15752.JPG

Sweet views from the summit ridge!

P2010097.JPGIMG_1588.JPG

Fast and icy ski down

P2010110.JPG

Gear Notes:

Skis, skins, crampons.....snowshoes, board

Approach Notes:

Able to drive to about 4400 ft

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - forecasted temps for this coming week are 10-15 degrees higher than when we went up....could soften it up really nice! I'd start way earlier than our 11am "alpine start" though. All that rain in the area made the snowpack as stable as it's ever gonna be. You should get up there before the next big snows come!

I always enjoy the Pioneer Gulch route in the spring. It is a good place to find some peace and quite.

A couple years ago in May, I trekked down there and was only able to drive a couple hundred yards on FS Road 2149 before I was stopped by trees all over the road. Made for a much longer trip than expected. This is also after I called the FS and inquired about the road...