black history month

ivan

why is it the shortest month again? or during a month when it's typically fucking freezing? do you know how much black folk like being cold? my old students wore great big down jackets in july in virginia so i'm guessing not much.

anyhow...need some decent daily quotes, facts, pix, etc. relevant to the occasion - currenlty wading through cornel west quotes so that oughta take the rest of the night :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

cornell west my pose a problem for my crew - he seems to require a reading comprehension greater than the typical faux-news viewer :)

"I grew up in traditional black patriarchal culture and there is no doubt that I’m going to take a great many unconscious, but present, patriarchal complicities to the grave because it so deeply ensconced in how I look at the world. Therefore, very much like alcoholism, drug addiction, or racism patriarchy is a disease and we are in perennial recovery and relapse. So you have to get up every morning and struggle against it. "

Did they ever resolve the dispute over the rights/distribution/whatever-it-was for "Eyes on the Prize"? As I recall, that was a great series and I'd like to see it again, but it was stuck in some sort of legal quagmire for several years.

Did it make it to the Supreme Court?

diana-ross-the-supremes-the-silver-collection-cd-album-art-18443.jpeg

No, not the Supremes holding court....

I mean...

clarence-thomas.jpg..the other Supreme Court.

quotes, honkies, quotes - need something interesting besides a million times repeated "we shall overcome"

"In a time in which Communist regimes have been rightfully discredited and yet alternatives to neoliberal capitalist societies are unwisely dismissed, I defend the fundamental claim of Marxist theory: there must be countervailing forces that defend people's needs against the brutality of profit driven capitalism."

— Cornel West

When tenured leftists of all colors can spout the same tendentious tripe about Marxism true equality is finally upon us.

don't think the good brother fancies himself much of a true marxist as he's also rather jesus-ey - seems pretty easy to read the Big Book as critical of capitalism after all?

"(Malcolm X) was our pathway to revolutionary understanding. Malcolm X went through a series of rites of passage - from Malcolm Little to Detroit Red to Satan to Malcolm X to El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz. All this because the man never stopped trying to develop and recognize the best of himself. He was self-determined. Malcolm was saying we need to be more. And we heard that. And he said it better than anybody ever said it. He made it clear to us. So all we wanted to do was to be disciples of Malcolm, in a sense, using poetry to illuminate the same values that he planted in our head." - Abiodun Oyewole.

When tenured leftists of all colors can spout the same tendentious tripe about Marxism true equality is finally upon us.

don't think the good brother fancies himself much of a true marxist as he's also rather jesus-ey - seems pretty easy to read the Big Book as critical of capitalism after all?

There are no true Marxists in any Western University anywhere. If there had been, they would have skipped town for Mao's China, the USSR, Pol Pot's Cambodia, etc long ago.

There are legions of pretentious pampered douches that enjoy indulging in Marxist make-believe on the taxpayer's dime.

There are legions of pretentious pampered douches that enjoy indulging in Marxist make-believe on the taxpayer's dime.

few folks would describe cornell west's hair as "pampered" :)

princeton professors get public dimes? thought it was a private school. at any rate, if you're a professor or religion, it's already pretty obvious you live in a fantasy world, no?

why is it the shortest month again? or during a month when it's typically fucking freezing? do you know how much black folk like being cold? my old students wore great big down jackets in july in virginia so i'm guessing not much.

anyhow...need some decent daily quotes, facts, pix, etc. relevant to the occasion - currenlty wading through cornel west quotes so that oughta take the rest of the night :)

who the fuck likes being cold??? olympics-winners-circle_jamaican-bobsled2.jpg

these guy's :)

Edited by pink