Rock Shoe Naming Contest

Climb X

I hope to shed some light on your questions here. There's a lot I would like to say, but cannot because of legal proceedings. Let me begin by acknowledging the preliminary injunction. This, once again does not state that we are in violation of these things, it just tells us not to violate them. There has been no ruling, it just sets a precedent and wee are in full compliance with it.

Everything you see on our site was done by our in-house design team who once designed shoes for the other company. We still produce gear for several global companies. We are not a "continuation" of the other company, but until recently did run their sales, marketing, design, production, distribution, and international business. But we are not a "continuation." Bottom line, we have a really nice factory in Tianjin, China with an expert design staff. Go here if you want to see some pictures and read a pretty similar description:

The Who the Hell is Climb X Page

We work hard to run the most advanced gear factory in the world. This is expensive, but you get professional craftspeople building great gear and able to do neat things like 3D compression molded climbing rubber that no one else does. Everyone has health care, we have solar on the roof, etc.

I appreciate your understanding that there are many things we cannot discuss as there are pending legalities. In 2009 there was a split between management of a company. The sales, marketing, design, production, and distribution management stayed with the same production facility and created the brand Climb X, while the owner of the other brand name moved to a different facility in Vietnam. We continued with production of our own designs under our own label. Compare the 2011 lines between the two companies and you will see that we are both going in different directions.

Understand that we are not using their patents (dual density sole, specific hooking heel, a different harness buckle, and a snowboard boot)and have not used their trademarks. Once again, the preliminary injunction merely states a precedent that we are in compliance with.

We are down in SE Portland, so if anyone wants to come by and crack some of these beers in the fridge, you are all welcome. There is a lot of misinformation out there, so we are more than happy to answer any specific questions.

We love being from the Pacific Northwest and are excited to be a part of the climbing community here for a long time. Especially once all of this petty drama is behind us. We are just here to have fun and produce great gear in a working environ. that everyone can appreciate. Thanks a lot and have fun out there.

Edited by Climb X

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, I came up with the Rad Moc name in the Madrock/rc.com naming contest 5-6 years ago.

That's awesome! Our Sales Manager did the first naming contest when he was working there and we just decided to do it again. We all thought the name was awesome. Did you ever collect on that reward?

Kudos for posting info about the working conditions your shoes are made under. That honestly makes me consider your shoes more then I ever have before as I always felt mad rock were sweat shop rip offs of five ten (I do have to say that the color choice and velcro strap on these makes them look a lot like the 5x).

Some Index Footwork Inspired Name Suggestions:

The Smedge

The Foot Dyno

The Knob Goblyn

"X Factor"

There's my entry.

Can't imagine why someone would think that "Rad Moc" could in any way insinuate affiliation with another climbing shoe company...."Mad Rock", "Super Moc" - those are totally different :P

anyway, you guys are doomed for this to play out in an ugly theater of public opinion for some time still - you might as well show that you can roll with the punches.

"X Moc" or "X Rock" could work too, if you want to throw a little extra salt in the wound.

But, realistically, if you guys want to recover some public image, be more in tune with the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law. Be open, admit past mistakes, don't try to hide behind technicalities, and get a fresh start building on corporate integrity & ethics.

Kudos for posting info about the working conditions your shoes are made under. That honestly makes me consider your shoes more then I ever have before as I always felt mad rock were sweat shop rip offs of five ten (I do have to say that the color choice and velcro strap on these makes them look a lot like the 5x).

The Smedge

The Foot Dyno

The Knob Goblyn

knob goblyn???? i wouldn't be caught dead with a pair of shoes called knob goblyn's on :lmao: just sayin :)

This isn't Joe, this is Alex. I'll make sure to tell him you say hello. Thank you for all of the suggestions, we are compiling a list of the ones we like from this site and a few others. We've got a lot in store for the coming months and some cool projects in the pipeline to help with several outdoor organizations and access projects. So stay tuned for those. I hope everyone had a good weekend. It was beautiful in Central Oregon today. I appreciate the positive as well as the constructive feedback. Once again, the door is always open for folks to come by.

Thanks again

The Smedge

The Foot Dyno

The Knob Goblyn

knob goblyn???? i wouldn't be caught dead with a pair of shoes called knob goblyn's on :lmao: just sayin :)

Oh man, totally missed that when i typed it ...

How a bout just "the nubbins"