Rock'n Roadtrip

cynicalwoodsman

I'm planning a traverse of the states between Ohio and B'ham (one- way) via I-90 in early or mid-summer.

Without going (too) far off-route, what

crags/routes/peaks/singletrack/bars/cat houses/opium dens/buffets/parties/diners/headshops/roadcuts/festivals/swap meets/strip clubs would you suggest I make a point to hit along the way?

I know crags exist in norhern midwest states that one might not typically think of i.e. illinois, nebraska, michigan and S Dakota (and probably others). I've never taken 90 or thought about doin' much til the rockies.

Any links you could hook me with that might potentially aid in finding partners at these spots would be cool too, such as local websites, forums, friends, etc... along with good campgrounds or maybe a hostel.

:brew:Cheers!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devil's lake in Wisconsin will be the best spot in the upper midwest that is along I-90. Try to go on a weekday to avoid all the FIBs. There is also a good sandstone crag near the town of Necedah, just before I-90 & I-94 split. Mountain project has good info on both crags.

Devil's lake in Wisconsin will be the best spot in the upper midwest that is along I-90. Try to go on a weekday to avoid all the FIBs. There is also a good sandstone crag near the town of Necedah, just before I-90 & I-94 split. Mountain project has good info on both crags.

FIB's?

F*cking Illinois Bastards! They siege the place on the weekends.

how about getting off the i90 just a little bit and hit up city of rocks. Just off i80, I believe is the hwy number. That hwy would get you within sights of tetons too.

Good call. Been meanin' to check out City.

Got "lost" in the wind rivers last trip out.

Wyoming is pretty amazing. Haven't climbed there yet though.

The Tetons are truly amazing. Can I climb the grand 'n still be down in time for happy hour?

Devils Tower is just across the South Dakota / Wyoming border. If you don't have a whole day to spend craggin you can get to the top and back down in 4ish hours. A great outing in a spectacular setting!

After Devils Tower cut west through Yellowstone. When you hit the main Yellowstone road head south and drive to the Tetons. After the Tetons go over Teton Pass towards Idaho Falls and on towards City of Rocks.

My only other suggestion is to pick a small town in Indiana where you can stop for breakfast at a local cafe. Pick the smallest town possible and walk in around 9am and sit at the bar. A great way to see part of America that you normally don't think of.

Second Devils tower. That place is AWESOME. There is also a ton of climbing and great exploring around rapid city (black hills, sturges motorcycle rally, mr rushmoore, the pinnacles for climbing), the badlands are well worth your time checking out (I did a heli ride for 60$ and it was worth every cent) south dakota will be your state for shitty places to stop off and see random stuff. There are a number of NPS along the way. I think the hard part would be to choose between going to the Tetons/yellowstone or going north up to glacial national park. If you have the time/money I would see both places. Not as much climbing up in glacier but it is gorgeous and remote. I've done the drive from Iowa to Oregon 4 times now so I've gone all the ways you can. We can chat more if you want.

Devil's Tower has rad climbing. It is subject to some climbing closures. I don't know the dates offhand, but it is something to think about when planning climbing trip stops.

Edit: I looked at the NPS information. As long as your trip is after June climbing isn't an issue.

Edited by Feck

I think the hard part would be to choose between going to the Tetons/yellowstone or going north up to glacial national park. If you have the time/money

Glacier is a beautiful park! However if you opt to head up that way check first to make sure the Going to the sun Road is open (usually opens in mid-June). If the road is not open it's hard to see much of the park.

Barn Bluff on the Mississippi (beautiful drive up the river road from 90) is an interesting piece of work. A crag with an ice age's worth of sediments on top. Nice limestone with some funky gems scattered about.

Off_White- The Superior granite is so hard and sharp, it is like nothing I have ever climbed. And all five layers of the granite are unique. Thinking about a free-solo-over-water trip to the good old BWCAW this summer. Man, I really miss that place.

I never made it to Devil's Lake, but I've only heard good things.