South Sister winter climb

Tomlike

Hey all

I'm looking for info from anyone that as climbed South Sister in the winter. I'd love to make a winter climb and am curious about access from the closure of the Cascade Lakes Highway at the Bachelor ski area. I've heard people either travel the 6 miles on the closed highway to the Lava Lake trailhead, or they contour towards the north of Sparks Lake and then angle west to the Moraine Lake area along Goose Creek. I would do it as an overnight, although some superhumans have done it in one day without skis. Any info or reports would be really appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can skate w/o skins on skis to the Devils Lake TH from Mt. Bachelor via the highway, and come up the regular summer route. The return trip to Mt. Bachelor is a long hike/skin up the road.

Hiking all that way sounds miserable. You could try carrying a case of PBR and stick your thumb out on the highway and the sledders would be happy to help your cause.

Conditions are "firm" in the area right now, with late afternoon corn forming on south facing steeper inclines.

it is truly miserable to ski/hike in. angling towards moraine lake too early leaves you with a barefoot stream crossing (couldnt find a tree to cross on). I can vouch that it sucks equally in a day, and as an overnight. Get a snomobbl for a ride to the wilderness. definitely ski in/out; you can slide about 1/4 to 1/3 the total distance (23 miles if memory serves me correctly)

Just summited last Thursday.

Caught a ride in. and a ride out on a snowmobile. (cut HOURS off the trip)

Went on snowshoes. Conditions were great. Quite icy. Would've rather been on Skis but snowshoeing was great.

Camped about about 7200' Took four hours to summit. About 2" of snow above hard ice for the last 2000 feet.

Four hours to summit from 7200'. About 4 hours from the summit and to pack up camp all the way back to the road. (Butt glissading helped)

TR and photos to come.