Weight Loss Goals for This Spring

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of year. Time to start thinking about losing weight, get into spring sending form. Yes, there's an infinite amount of variables involved in "fitness", but I'm only interested in losing weight. How you do it is up to you.

I'm 182, and am shooting for 170 by the end of April.

Where you at now and where do you want to be by April?

I was 218 three months ago. I am 184 as of yesterday. Shooting for 175

John suggested I read the Barry Sears book "the Zone diet". Good call John! :tup:

This book rocks!

After first reading this book I couldn't believe the gains I made as a hulkin' gym-rat years ago on so little food. I wasn't climbing yet though so goals were a lot different. But it goes miles toward understanding how, as the author explains, food is the most powerful drug we take.

I'm currently 6' 190 ~14% bodyfat, 6"+ ape index, huge frame, a wrist held together with metal, and injuries plaguing virtually every joint in my body over the last 15 yrs. Any kind of upper body resistance training/hard climbing hurts. Jugs are doable though, and that's a good thing! :)

I envy the small dudes with mad strenth:weight ratio... no fair!

I was 167 as a starving musician/bike messenger in the early '90's. It didn't feel or look healthy but I bet I'da climbed mad hard. Tuff to say and difficult to emulate as I refuse to starve. Anything I do... hiking/biking/resistance (even low-wt/high reps) puts weight on me unless I starve myself.

I'm shooting for 180 ~12 % bodyfat by June... dirt-axing and 'swhacking small steep hills @ high intensity til weather allows more road-biking, and hope to fight thru pain to reach >3 pullups and at least 1x per week gym climbing.

Can't stress enough how much "the zone" has impacted my ability to control my weight even sedentary AND bad diet since I bought and read it almost 20 yrs ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ah C'mon Gene - Don't be hating just because you have lead in your bones. :)

Haters gonna hate:-)

this a pull up contest now? that would be fun and maybe more worthwhile than focusing on losing weight.

LOL. It's about both health and performing better (or as the OP said "sending form"). Pullups can be one measure of how your muscles vs your weight are. When I was young, I was doing 5 sets of 12. As I'm not young, it still is germain to training hard. In fact, if weight is an issue or worthy of discussion, why is it an issue? Go from there.

So...what's your pull up count:-0 BTW, all the 3rd grade climbers are outperforming me theses days, it's not about bragging, it's about doing better for yourself:-)

Regards! :wave:

Not sure if my tone went across right but I was a little bit serious. A little public competitiveness to help keep motivation towards a goal is not such a bad thing. No prize, no glory, just getting improvement. I have seen similar things on other fitness forums that seem to work. Usually working for some ungodly deadlift weight.

Since you asked, I can force my fat ass about 10 to 12 times on rock rings. Less for straight bar. Did 9 on a towel draped over a bar. My goal is to be able to do 5 sets of 20 with 90sec rest between. I got a ways to go.

Since you asked, I can force my fat ass about 10 to 12 times on rock rings. Less for straight bar. Did 9 on a towel draped over a bar. My goal is to be able to do 5 sets of 20 with 90sec rest between. I got a ways to go.

I wouldn't worry about how many pull-ups, in fact I stopped doing them all together this year. I used to do 200+ per week but it never helped my climbing.

The reason is simple, you don't need big pulling muscles to climb well and developing big pulling muscles makes you heavy. The test for this is simple, go to the gym and pick a roped route one number grade below your red point level and run laps on it till failure. What muscle got pumped out? Your back, lats, or your forearms? I wold guess your forearms. If you climbed at places like Rifle or Maple then maybe doing some pull-ups would be a good idea, but for us in the PNW most of the climbing we do is vertical and doesn't tax the big muscles.

On the flip side, it would be hard to climb well if you couldn't do at least one pull-up, once in blue moon there is no other option but to pull hard but those moments are rare.

-Nate

I am interested in knowing peoples heights when they are listing their weight loss goals.

I am seeing some pretty low numbers being thrown out here.

I am 5'8"/ 5'9" and am @ 165# right now.

I believe that my ideal is around 160# based on previous weight and fitness level.

I have a strongsuspicion that those of you throwing out 150, 124 etc are taller than 5'8". I can't imagine what a twig I would be at 150 or less.

I think Nate is onto something in his post.

I have started using rock rings etc for pure contact strength and doing core and cardio as my workout.

I put more emphasis on endurance and overall fitness than pull ups.

Then again I am only cranking at about 5.9 to easy 10's.