[TR] SLC Utah - Stairway to Heaven 1/23/2011

Dane

Trip: SLC Utah - Stairway to Heaven

Date: 1/23/2011

Trip Report:

Every time I am lucky enough to visit SLC I get a terrible urge and want to move there. If you wonder why...it is always sunny when visit and you can ice climb, ski and ride your road bike all in the same day if you were really ambitious. (well every time I've been here anyway ;) And there are a few locals that actually do such things.

P1230654.JPG

P1230728.JPG

This is Stairway to Heaven in boney conditions and light for the grade right now on the first 5 pitches.(thankfully!)

Here is a quick look at what the locals do before going to or after work...the bastards! Ad this is just the "junk" ice around the city. Cool thing about OR? There are plenty of rope guns running around you can put to work ;)

More photos/info here:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011/01/swth-or-slc-metro-ice.html

http://lamountaineers.org/NAC/browserf/climbs/stairut/beta.htm

http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?p=3155&sid=78c5e5114c418e43657f8f77c5980fa4

http://cascadeclimbers.com/trip-reports/ice/utah-provo-canyon-stairway-to-heaven---provo-canyon--1-22-2008-3201/

With no avi danger this one (and a few other road side attractions) might actually me worth the drive for us.

Gear Notes:

The usual for the grade and full length rappels. Locals seem a little poor so take some new tat along to reinforce the anchors...seriously.

Approach Notes:

10 min approach with the highway below and up to 10 pitches later in the winter.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We did 5 pitches..which I'm told is the "normal" route. They probably tell all the hackers that to keep 'um off the good stuff. 6th pillar was a little sketchy after the chinook went through. My host hadn't heard of anyone doing it recently. Give it a week or so and I suspect it would be good as well.

nice STH stoke...

btw, you dont need tat... you just gotta know where to look for the hardware... some of it is kind of trivial... hit me up on your next go around on that thing, ive got an extra bike. :grin:

and on a side note, the farmed ice of pitches 6-10 has seen its glory days back in Feb/Mar 06... since then nobody's been willing thrash-up the hate-filled bridalveil gulch and mountainside to asses the carnage done to the hoses during a massive bridevail bowl avi during the 07/08 season...

Edited by TBay

Dbl rap tat on the tree sucks.. Got an extra 56" :)

This is the 5 pitches we cimbed but obviously with much less ice. Pitch 6 looked very close to being climbable to me (likely was) on the far left. Easy enough to make the pitches longer or shorter as there are many benches between the steps. We just did what seemed natural and found chains. Pretty obvious. Kinda like Professors in Baff but a little steeper over all and out in the air a bit by comparison. The first pitch was by far the longest but not 60m. Raps were all chained except for the tree mid route.

Stairway_to_heaven.jpg

and on a side note, the farmed ice of pitches 6-10 has seen its glory days back in Feb/Mar 06... since then nobody's been willing thrash-up the hate-filled bridalveil gulch and mountainside to asses the carnage done to the hoses during a massive bridevail bowl avi during the 07/08 season...

Actually, only pitch 9-10 are truly farmed. Back in the early 90s I climbed pitches 6-8 on natural ice. Pitch 6 actually forms up often as does a bit of pitch 8. Pitch 7 is a free hanging pillar which oddly enough was much fatter when it was natural ice. I think that season, 92??? was the first time that many pitches had formed.

That said, I have to give kudos to those who did the work for the farming on Stairway as well as to the climbs to left of Bridal Veil. It was great to have some new lines to play on. Perhaps this next fall we will have work party.