$1000 fine for out of bounds skiing

num1mc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget about seeing some one ski out of bounds. If they head out then they have to call for help if they get into trouble, even if ski patrol sees them leave the resort. This bill will maybe stop 1% of those who leave the ski area. People that do this will not care about the law.

A friend who does volunteer patrolling at Alpental tells me they discussed travel through the ski area in a pre-season group meeting. According to my friend the policy is they do not limit or restrict travel through the area.

I believe the primary target for this policy is folks taking the winter route to Source Lake. I don't think they have anywhere near the staff necessary to bust all the folks who travel to the lake via the winter route. :grlaf: Last week I think I saw 500 folks traveling out of area near the lake.

Things might change next year of course.

A friend who does volunteer patrolling at Alpental tells me they discussed travel through the ski area in a pre-season group meeting. According to my friend the policy is they do not limit or restrict travel through the area.

I believe the primary target for this policy is folks taking the winter route to Source Lake. I don't think they have anywhere near the staff necessary to bust all the folks who travel to the lake via the winter route. :grlaf: Last week I think I saw 500 folks traveling out of area near the lake.

Things might change next year of course.

It's good to hear that's the position this year. AND, in past years they have attempted to both close that route to uphill travel and, more significantly, banned parking in those lots for anyone without a lift pass. It was at that time that we discovered that there is absolutely no winter-time unrestricted public parking north of I-90.

I requested a copy of the lease from the Forest Service. They sent a heavily redacted version and told me I'd have to file a FOIA petition if I wanted the entire thing.

Summary: Just because it's a reasonable situation this year does not mean it will stay that way.

Folks should read the bill:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2011-12/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5186.pdf

Here is the language:

(b) A person shall not ski on a ski slope, trail, or area that is designated by a ski area operator as closed to the public and that has signs posted indicating the closure. Any person who violates the provisions of this subsection commits a civil infraction and is subject to a monetary penalty of up to one thousand dollars.

Basically if the ski operation says the area is closed is within their boundary and you ski in it you can get fined. It has nothing to do with going out of bounds. A ski resort/patrol cannot close terrain outside of their boundary as they have no control over it.

Once again the news has failed to do proper reporting. Folks should send the reporter, Ray Lane a note. rlane@komonews.com as well as the patrollers who gave him BS.

Edited by ScaredSilly

Does anybody know where we should send letters commenting on this situation? It says that the State Senate's Natural Resource Committee will take this up today...

Short of attending the 1:30pm meeting today and testifying, you can call the legislative hotline: 1-800-562-6000, or you can find your legislators and send them an email/letter.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx

You should hit both your senators and representatives because I believe there is a companion bill in the house.

Basically if the ski operation says the area is closed is within their boundary and you ski in it you can get fined. It has nothing to do with going out of bounds. A ski resort/patrol cannot close terrain outside of their boundary as they have no control over it.

Once again the news has failed to do proper reporting. Folks should send the reporter, Ray Lane a note. rlane@komonews.com as well as the patrollers who gave him BS.

This is what I took away too. There is a difference between a ski boundary rope and a closed area. Out of bounds is not closed.

BTW, what I find interesting is that it only applies to a ski operator. Here in Oootah, others in their official capacity can close areas.

Here is Utah's version. Note the wording for the ski patrol.

13.12.020 - Closed or unsafe areas—Designation—Signs.

The sheriff, forest service, national park service or ski patrol for the ski resort upon which the designated area is located shall be authorized to designate closed or unsafe areas through the use of regulatory signs or other devices. When regulatory signs and/or devices are in place, there shall be a presumption that their placement was authorized.