ice climbing in AT boots

downey

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real simple: Is it a skiing trip or a climbing trip? Or in other words, what's your objective and which will you spend more time doing? There's your answer.

The one notable exception would be if either the climbing or skiing are going to be particularly hard, then bring the appropriate footwear.

If both are going to be hard... bring both!

I spent a whole day climbing WI3-4 in Lilooet with my dynafit boots out of necessity and had no issues at all except that the hike in sucked. I would say if you can skin in and ski out, then always climb in your AT boots. If the weather is warm watch your feet because ski boots get make your feet mush once they get really sweaty, then you're F'd. I can't imagine why I would carry two sets of boots in the NW. If I can't ski in, then I'll snowshoe or walk and if I can ski in there is no ice route that my ski boots would be a disadvantage on.

I have also been wondering about this.

I tour/walk in my at boots with all the top buckles undone and in tour mode for comfort. Do you ice climb in tour mode or ski mode? Top buckles done or undone?

I've been eyeing the new line of sportiva ski boots wondering how well they walk/climb:

http://www.wildsnow.com/4361/winter-outdoor-retailer-show-2011-1/

http://www.tetonat.com/2011/01/24/more-from-outdoor-retailer/