[TR] North Carolina - Friday Night Alpinism 1/21/2011

Trip: North Carolina - Friday Night Alpinism

Date: 1/21/2011

Trip Report:

In 2008 Colin coined the term: "Wednesday Night Alpinism", and described it as such: “Leave work at your usual time, drive straight to the mountains, and go alpine climbing all night, preferably in horrendous weather. The difficulty of staying awake at work the next day will help train you for the 40+ hour summit push on GIV...”. While GIV isn’t on my radar screen, getting after “it” in the hills is! The particular day of the week isn’t as important as the pursuit or adventure. Now I just needed a partner and an objective (and a free evening :crazy:).

I discovered both at a Conrad Anker slide show (excellent, by the way!) in Raleigh this past October, where I met Rich and Lisa, two local NC climbers with a passion/skill set for big climbs. That night we chatted about our shared experiences in the Cascades, from Liberty Ridge to the Picket Range. We also discussed future plans/training climbs, and Moore’s Wall came up. Rich had climbed a two pitch route there called Sentinel Buttress a few winters ago (after work), and highly recommended it as a character building exercise.

Lisa and Will gearing up

IMG_0584.JPG

Unfortunately Rich was busy at the Outdoor Retailer Show in SLC this week, so Lisa, myself, and my friend Will headed up to the Mighty Moore’s Wall last night after work. Temps were chilly, but thankfully the moon was full and the wind was mild. Night climbing is frowned upon in this particular State Park, and unfortunately the Rangers where waiting for us at the bottom. They were super cool with it though, after we admitted our idiocy and promised to never to do it again. FYI, the park closes at 6:00pm, if you’re ever in the area. I knew I had found a great partner when Lisa whispered (with a huge grin), after the Ranger’s found us, “at least we got the climb in”!

Lisa finishing the first pitch

IMG_0589.JPG

Lisa leading the 2nd pitch

IMG_0593.JPG

Couple more shots from ice climbing in Linville Gorge (“Grand Canyon of the East”) this past weekend with Rich, Lisa, Robert, Kyle, and my sister Becky.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMGP0082.jpg

IMGP0110.jpg

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_05352.jpg

IMGP0114.jpg

IMG_12151.jpg

IMGP0075.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NC is one of my favorite places to climb and there was an odd SoIll <> NC connection / exchange in the late 70's and early 80's with folks going in both directions. NC climbers were some of the most creative and burly folks I've ever climbed with. All were fairly sly with continuously burning wits and fat ones - hopeful the situation hasn't changed much down there.

NC is one of my favorite places to climb and there was an odd SoIll <> NC connection / exchange in the late 70's and early 80's with folks going in both directions. NC climbers were some of the most creative and burly folks I've ever climbed with. All were fairly sly with continuously burning wits and fat ones - hopeful the situation hasn't changed much down there.

Wow, interesting! Yeah, creative and burly sum up those folks nicely!

:brew: Hey Ivan, John, and Becky!