Petzl carabiner suitable for belay w/Munter hitch?

pcg

I saw this pear-shaped carabiner at REI and it is awfully light at 55g. Is it suitable for belaying with a Munter hitch? My concern is that the cross-section is not round, but sort of rectangular, and thus is going to perform differently in this application and possibly damage the rope.

Any thoughts?

Petzl Attache 3D

petzl_attache_3d.jpg

Edited by pcg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should perform just fine new. After extended use and wear with either a munter or a device I'd watch for that lip around the inside to start getting sharp though. Without having seen or used it, i'd guess it should be fine for few seasons, of climbing, but probably not years and years.

Hey, just a thought about the Attache 3D. I have one, and really like the lightness of it, but do find as mentioned above that when the I beams wear through, they do get really sharp. I got about 6 months out of mine last year before that happened and it was relegated to "bail biner" status. For anything that is going to be doing a lot of belaying, especially with a sandy or dirty rope, I now prefer to stick with the regular Attache. It or a William work quite well for muntering (is that even a verb?). For lightweight anchor biners, I find I really like those BD Vapourlock biners, cheaper than the 3D, and they'll munter just fine too.

Hey, just a thought about the Attache 3D. I have one, and really like the lightness of it, but do find as mentioned above that when the I beams wear through, they do get really sharp.

DAMN GOOD POINT! The sharpness of worn biners has been linked to cut ropes due to falls (usually on draws left fixed first bolts) on sport routes. I wore down my DMM Sentinel from rapping on sandstone/conglomerate out at Coethedral but it was nice and smooth still. I could see the grooves getting somewhat deep so I retired it (mostly). Weight 56 grams vs 52 for the Vaporlock vs 50 for the Attache (as I see it on the REI page). I suspect that the same thing will occur here. Dude will see it and go "shit", and not use it, but for the reasons you note it will have a significantly shorter life than the phatty Attache.