Mountain Loop/Darrington Access

hanman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear Creek road is also washed out at about 4-5 miles from the beginning of the road at another major stream channel coming down from Jumbo Mt.

This wahsout is about 5 times larger then the first.

IMG_17751.JPG

Debris filled up a ~10 foot diameter culvert.

IMG_1753.JPG

This probably caused the water to overtop and deposit material down the road to the east while scouring out the downhill side of the road.

IMG_17591.JPG

The majority of the damage is to the west of the culvert where the stream now runs. All in all about 500-700 feet of road were destroyed as well as a large culvert being ruined.

• 1 month later...

I got a proposed action scoping notice in the mail from the USFS indicating they were planning on fixing the clear creek and squire creek roads and a bunch of other stuff. I will read it over more carefully tonight and post more details. Everyone should call or write in there support of these proposed actions. I'll post some more info tonight.

Edited by shapp

So I got a project scoping document from the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National forest in the mail yesterday informing of a bunch of projects they intend to do the summer and fall of 2011 extending into 2012. Of particular importance to climbers is they proposed to fix the storm damage on the Clear Creek Rd (access to 3 oclock rock, green giant, exfoliation dome etc), squire creek road (squire creek wall/roan wall etc.) and some stuff on NF Sauk Road (Spring mt and other objectives). The Forest Service is solititing for any public comment on the projects. We should all call, write a letter, or send an email in support of these projects. Specifically, it would be great if you contacted them indicating you really appriciate their attention to these projects, which will allow continued day trip access to several great rock climbing areas, and request that the work be done as soon as feasible in 2011. The project to reference is #3 Darrington District Road Repair (repair currently known winter-damaged sites on roads 2060, 49, 18, and 2040 with reconstruction of road prism, low water ford construction or culvert upgrades. Roads locations: Clear Creek, Squire Creek , NF of the Sauk River and Segelsen Ridge.

Phyllis Reed by April 1, 2011 at 360-436-2332 plreed@fs.fed.us or at Mt Baker-Snoqualmie Natinoal Forest, Darrington Ranger District, 1405 Emens Street, Darrington, WA 98241

Edited by shapp

• 3 weeks later...

Good news race fans- Mr. Mitchell (FS Roads Manager)just updated me on the Clear Creek 2060 road. They are currently working (pending snow conditions) on a temporary bypass at the first wash in an effort to reach the big damage at mile 4.1. This temporary bypass may or may not be passable by public use standards, but I think this shows they are willing to at least consider a full repair. Thanks to all who indicated support for this continued access, and to the FS crews and personnel involved!!

M.Hanna

Edited by hanman

• 4 weeks later...