Gun Rights

tvashtarkatena

On appeal, the court applied intermediate, rather than strict, scrutiny to deny a man previously convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor (his wife came home to find hubby with a professional, hyjinx ensued) the right to possess firearms.

US v Chester

This is in line with Heller; the right to bear arms should be afforded only to law-abiding, responsible citizens. Previous convictions for violence indicated otherwise in this case.

The ruling included a discussion of whether or not conviction for a violent misdemeanor might be a more compelling reason to deny 2nd amendment rights than conviction for a non-violent felony. A case to test that will likely come up sooner than later, possibly securing the right to bear arms for convicted potheads and Martha Stewart.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I get out of this argument is that if law abiding citizens are allowed to own guns, criminals are less likely to attempt to violate their rights (break into their home, assault them, ect.) And law abiding citizens would (presumably) only utilize their weapons in self-defense scenarios (defending their homes- which is justified in Washington state- see the castle doctrine)- thereby eliminating the criminal aspect of using a gun.

Have you ever taken a stats class? If you had (I've taken two including advanced and aced em) you'd know you can prove almost anything with stats- true or false.

Yes, that's what they call "the fundamental theorem of statistics" taught in all statistics courses. :rolleyes:

Edited by E-rock

Have you ever taken a stats class? If you had (I've taken two including advanced and aced em) you'd know you can prove almost anything with stats- true or false.

If that is what you came out with from two statistics classes I'd venture: 1) the classes were taken at the philosphy department of Evergreen, or 2) you were asleep.

Arm everyone. The guy screaming at a flock of crows on the street corner. The confused soccer mom that just rammed the side of your parked car. The befuddled old man who can't find his Safeway card. The goateed aggro case who just cut you off in his F350.

When a real incident happens, watch these highly trained professionals make the right split second decisions to prevent tragedy with their trusty pieces.

Meanwhile, lets continue largely ignore the mentally ill. What the Hell, give them guns, too. Mental health? Sorry, not covered. The brain is, ya know, separate.

My kinda world.

I own a few guns, for fun. Guns are fun to shoot.

But I can't imagine why anybody would want to carry one around all day. I mean, this isn't Fallujah. People who like carrying guns around everywhere should just join the Marines. Carrying one around downtown Seattle is just sort of ... weird. Out of place and illogical.