[TR] Leavenworth Ice - Millennium Wall 1/15/2011

Trip: Leavenworth Ice - Millennium Wall

Date: 1/15/2011

Trip Report:

Millenium Wall was still in great shape even after the warm spell that hit the State. Josh and I climbed it on Saturday, Jan 15 2011.

The ice was a bit wet but thick, plastic(y), and easy to protect with screws.

Enjoy this incredibly cheesy video that shows the conditions - http://www.vimeo.com/18835556. Best viewed while drinking beers and wearing baggy pants from the 80s.

FYI - Rainbow Falls looked thinner and was flowing, but potentially still climbable on the left side. We did not walk up to explore.

Gear Notes:

2 60m double ropes (the route is just shy of 30 meters from bottom to the tree anchor so a single 60m would be fine as well). 6-8 screws to protect the route (ice is a tad thinner down low so maybe bring 1 shorter screw, but standard length is fine for the majority of the route). Cordelette/webbing for the tree anchor up top.

Approach Notes:

Bootpack was great. Bring snowshoes though or you'll be punching through every 20 steps.

P1110200.JPG

Edited by CamelJockey

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not very good at ratings, but I'd say the right line, where you see my climbing partner in the pic above, is probably WI3 or WI3+. The left line, which you can't fully see in the pic but crosses over the upward & right trending ice depression seen in the pic is less steep overall - maybe WI3.