Tying ropes together?

sandalsclub

Hi, I'm info gathering so thanks in advance.

Does anybody use an accessory pull-cord for full length raps on one strand?

What knots do you like?

Is an EDK appropriate when pairing diameters of 6mm and 10mm?

Any experiences with a knot pulling through itself or through the anchor?

Edited by sandalsclub

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When using 7mm or 8mm tag line, yes - descend on two as you normally would. With the lead rope through the chains/rings.

I don't use any extra biners for added friction. If I feel like I need more friction, an extra wrap with my autoblock usually does the trick.

See below pic of pull-line system in use, I use this method with a 6mm cord. Note the biner is REALLY important, people have died by using just a knot and no biner. This method isn't prefect as discussed, but I've been happy with it and only had a few stuck ropes that required some extra pulling.

[img:center]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CVi31V8pFQE/S-nNArY-xCI/AAAAAAAAAMI/p1-uqDgNHHQ/s1600/448px-Autoblock_lockeds.JPG[/img]

Lookz like Eldiente ties a square knot, and then the Fishermans. Thats what I do. Probably from being drilled into my in Boy Scouts that a square knot is the best way to join 2 ropes, and also because you can whip a square knot in so that they are quickly joined and then its easy to tie the fishermans(as a backup and to hold the sq knot in place) because they are not under any tension.

I'm paranoid so I use a small locker on the rig. As for the knot, the above picture was stole from some random website, this isn't my picture. The only thing I do differently is I use a overhand knot to join the pull line and the lead rope together, the tag line is not supposed to be load bearing so I use whatever knot is small and easy to tie for the tag line. My feeling is that there is no conceivable way for a locker to fit through a rap ring, safe enough.

Edited by eldiente