climbing gyms

cynicalwoodsman

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nawwwwww that bitch is barefoot in the kitchen standin' over the stove cookin' my dinner 'n readin' the clock for me. I traded my watch for a chalk ball and tendon-tape.

kukuzka (how do you pronounce that?), I been watchin' 'dis place fer a while now. I'm currently stayin' on top of summitchaser's thread, I remember jamin 'r whatever his name was. I fig'r I kin git mo'r bees wit hunny when the clouds begin to darken over my prose in here. I don't wanna be on the wrong end of spray like that.

Sooo I exersized a little shmoozin so I can get my 75 cents worth.

there is a chance that cynicalwoodsman = summitchaser.

What, and he registered back when he was in high school in 05? I haven't looked at IP addresses, but I'll wager you're wrong. Besides, the Cynical one isn't nearly as impressed with himself enough to be that individual.

Cynicalwoodsman, don't worry about it, I don't think you really upset anyone, they just didn't agree with you.

The gym isn't climbing, but it's a climbing-like activity that can leave you stronger in the spring so you can re-learn how to be subtle with your feet. Living in Olympia, the gym here is small and friendly. I don't know what their qualification policies are, as a venerable old fart with decades of experience and a lifetime membership they've never bothered to test me. There are easier routes to lead, including vertical walls, but the slabs are indeed all TR.

Your gym in Ohio may be different, but there's no reason to act as if a Tool's opinion matters, so cultivate some gym buddies with a compatible attitude and you'll be just fine.

I've never really fit in with you guys. I don't look, climb, live, or view climbing quite the same way a lotta you folks do.

pffft, most 3rd grade girls are out climbing me these dayz, no room to either fit in or be egotistical here:-) I suppose if you'd just get the hell out of Ohio things would improve for you. I remember hitchhiking through there and seeing some surprisingly pretty country though.....How far to Devils Lake? Gym climbing is brutal on the fingers.....it would seem that playing guitar and climbing are almost mutually exclusive things. Make sure you give yourself plenty of warm up time, and rest days too.

Found on internet:

"check out these spots. They are all located in Northeast Ohio.

Whipps Ledges

Whipps Ledges offers rock climbers over 1100 feet high cliffs, and is located in Medina Ohio. You can do top rope, bouldering, and there are some gear routes on their 19 sections. You must have a permit to climb here.

If you need information on how to obtain one, go to http://www.headbaby.com/climb.htm. Here you will find the name and address of the place you need to go. Nice place to climb, and is well known for excellent sections.

Logtown Quarries

Logtown Quarries offer climbing areas that are 150 to 200 feet high, and is located in Lisbon Ohio. You are free to climb here if you get permission from the city and the boyscouts, who own part of the area. Nice, clean atmosphere, and a great place to climb. There are 11 sections to climb, and you can see some photos at www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Ohio/Northeast_Ohio/Logtown_Quarries/,

www.geocities.com/logtownguide/, and www.headbaby.com/climb.htm."

It's awesome you guys looked that stuff up!

I can't figure out how to do the quotes, so I'll just comment on all of the recent ones.

Gym climbing always killed my fingers, which is why I never liked it all that much. It has been a struggle to climb and play guitar in the same week. I never wanted to climb hard anyway. I learned in a gym, but I get very little from gym climbing. Training for anything is a thing of the past. I ride a roadbike now, and there's some nice rolling countryside. Tuff to do here in winter though. I've never heard of devil's lake but I'll look it up.

The permit required to climb at Whipps can only be obtained by providing proof of $300k personal liability insurance.

I ain't got it.

The 1100' high quote is a typo. Maybe 1100' long, but I doubt anything in ohio, even a hill, offers that much relief.

Logtown looks worth the trip given my options. I haven't checked it out yet. It's listed wrong on rc.com. It's not in NE ohio. I think its about 2 hours.

The red is, as mentioned above, about 6 hrs. I'm gonna do a trip there this spring.

The New is half a day. Never been, but it's on the list.

The 'daks are 10 hours from me. I've always gone there. Never climbed rock there though. I've done a ton of winter snowshoe backpacking there, and it's the first place I ever climbed ice. It gets way too much traffic in the summer. The local black bears know how to open bear canisters. They knew how to get hung food bags years ago. It's just hammered! It bums me out.

SW pa actually has some really good ice and it's about 5-ish hours depending on where you climb. I have a trip there in the bag already this season. And it's the most reliable ice in PA.

Central pa has some semi-reliable ice, surprisingly good

backpacking, some paddling, and some good (backcountry.... not much worn singletrack) mtnbiking, but hardly any rock worth climbing. It's all sedimentary choss... mostly shale and semi-resistant sanstone. Very little good sandstone is there. I've spent many years in Central pa and went to college there. There's no igneous rock in PA except SE PA and a little bit of diabase in the lancaster rift. I don't know how much of it's climbable except to say I know some of it is.

I'm dyin' to leave but my gf is here, and my family in upstate ny needs me close cuz my dad has alzheimers. Even if I could leave I haven't found work since I've been here. I don't 'zactly have the bankroll to pull out. Not to mention my gf is pretty rooted for the time being. She's climbed, but isn't a climber. We get out backpacking in PA and WV a few times a year.

Mohican, 2 hours south of me has some of the best technical singletrack I've ever ridden. Good camping too. Cleveland is home to the world's only indoor mtn bike park. I haven't checked that out yet either.

The metropark system here offers a bit of therapy. They don't allow mtn biking anywhere nearby 'cept a 2 mile loop almost an hour away. But there's a metropark near me that has some good bouldering (too steep for me) and more importantly, a bunch of 12'-15' drips that are touchin' down all over the place and I've gotten several days of tool-swingin' ice bouldering that I plan to take advantage of as long as it stays cold. From what I understand it's rare to have it come in like it has. It's not posted against climbing like the rest of metroparks that have any rock at all, but I'm thinkin' it's probably not legal. But I'm dyin to hang a TR or plug some gear on some of the less-steep lines next season. It's rare, better sandstone for here.

It's awesome you guys looked that stuff up!

I can't figure out how to do the quotes, so I'll just comment on all of the recent ones.

Gym climbing always killed my fingers, which is why I never liked it all that much. It has been a struggle to climb and play guitar in the same week. I never wanted to climb hard anyway. I learned in a gym, but I get very little from gym climbing. Training for anything is a thing of the past. I ride a roadbike now, and there's some nice rolling countryside. Tuff to do here in winter though. I've never heard of devil's lake but I'll look it up.

The permit required to climb at Whipps can only be obtained by providing proof of $300k personal liability insurance.

I ain't got it.

The 1100' high quote is a typo. Maybe 1100' long, but I doubt anything in ohio, even a hill, offers that much relief.

Logtown looks worth the trip given my options. I haven't checked it out yet. It's listed wrong on rc.com. It's not in NE ohio. I think its about 2 hours.

The red is, as mentioned above, about 6 hrs. I'm gonna do a trip there this spring.

The New is half a day. Never been, but it's on the list.

The 'daks are 10 hours from me. I've always gone there. Never climbed rock there though. I've done a ton of winter snowshoe backpacking there, and it's the first place I ever climbed ice. It gets way too much traffic in the summer. The local black bears know how to open bear canisters. They knew how to get hung food bags years ago. It's just hammered! It bums me out.

SW pa actually has some really good ice and it's about 5-ish hours depending on where you climb. I have a trip there in the bag already this season. And it's the most reliable ice in PA.

Central pa has some semi-reliable ice, surprisingly good

backpacking, some paddling, and some good (backcountry.... not much worn singletrack) mtnbiking, but hardly any rock worth climbing. It's all sedimentary choss... mostly shale and semi-resistant sanstone. Very little good sandstone is there. I've spent many years in Central pa and went to college there. There's no igneous rock in PA except SE PA and a little bit of diabase in the lancaster rift. I don't know how much of it's climbable except to say I know some of it is.

I'm dyin' to leave but my gf is here, and my family in upstate ny needs me close cuz my dad has alzheimers. Even if I could leave I haven't found work since I've been here. I don't 'zactly have the bankroll to pull out. Not to mention my gf is pretty rooted for the time being. She's climbed, but isn't a climber. We get out backpacking in PA and WV a few times a year.

Mohican, 2 hours south of me has some of the best technical singletrack I've ever ridden. Good camping too. Cleveland is home to the world's only indoor mtn bike park. I haven't checked that out yet either.

The metropark system here offers a bit of therapy. They don't allow mtn biking anywhere nearby 'cept a 2 mile loop almost an hour away. But there's a metropark near me that has some good bouldering (too steep for me) and more importantly, a bunch of 12'-15' drips that are touchin' down all over the place and I've gotten several days of tool-swingin' ice bouldering that I plan to take advantage of as long as it stays cold. From what I understand it's rare to have it come in like it has. It's not posted against climbing like the rest of metroparks that have any rock at all, but I'm thinkin' it's probably not legal. But I'm dyin to hang a TR or plug some gear on some of the less-steep lines next season. It's rare, better sandstone for here.

two of the best cliffs in the world...period...