Hardshell help

duckfeet

why dont you go buy one on sale wear it till it is ruined

On the other hand, M F T in Extreme Alpinism said "I have never worn out a jacket, I usually get rid of them well before that when the trendy color goes out of style" or words to that effect. Because the money skill of extreme climbing is posing, and the central part of posing is looking good, you see. Sponsors love it. if you're strong as fuck but can't pose, you never get the $$$.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet the top climbers could wear 1992 TNF cordura armor and still be accomplishing exactly what they are doing now. Debating over which $400 membrane to wear to climb run-of-the-mill routes is like arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. It's not going to make a scrap of difference. I'm still buying cool shit though, because the good guys say it's cool.

now i know you are all queers. blabbedy blabbedy blabbedy

:lmao:

Despite there being a very slight bit of truth to this, I'm pretty glad we aren't all stuck with having to climb in coated nylon.

Yup, there is such a thing as over-analyzing fabrics to the point where folks make a very big deal about inconsequential manufacturer provided bullet point, and the marketing snake oil salesman need something to do in order to stay out of the government cheese line.

At the same time, when you need it, goretexpertexeventneoshell is worth it in the long run.

For a breathable jacket there are a lot of windbreakers out there that weigh very little and don't cost a fortune.

If it is below freezing and you are not spending a lot of time around waterfalls you won't need a waterproof - breathable "hardshell" and my experience has been that, even when spending all day in a wet snowstorm, I've been drier inside my windbreaker than my friends in their waterproof breathables.

In warm weather, and if you are day-tripping or weekending it, the weatherman will give you a pretty damn good idea whether you need to worry about getting wet. Unless you are climbing something that is hard to get down from you can safely head out with just a windbreaker for most of the popular climbs in the Cascades.