noob boots

B Deleted_Beck

first of all, howdy, i'm ben. i'm new to sport climbing.

to be brief... what are the chances this might make an acceptable, temporary, cold climbing boot for easy 6,000-7,000' summit winter hikes?

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/stuff/100_0942.jpg?t=1294817865

(why cant i get this image to display?)

will it even accept a crampon? would the crampon it would accept be a decent crampon i'd want to use with the better boot i intend to buy come spring?

it's a snowboard boot... Killer Loop, if you remember them. not shit, but definitely not top of the line. they're pretty rigid in the back, obviously not intended to be hiked in all day... otherwise comfortable, warm, and waterproof. almost seems like i could just cut off the plastic spine on the back, and they'd be a lot more flexible at the ankle.

stoopid noob idea, or can i get away with this?

Edited by bkb0000

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be fine for stomping around on easy snow climbs. You can buy all strap crampons to use for those boots. The model would need to be very flexible if your boot is flexible.

Grivel Air Tech Light Crampon with Antibott Device & Flex Bars

or a model with a hinge between the front and back piece.

or the kahtoola models but they have very short points.

Stubai Ultralight Universal Crampons look very flexible and good points.

if your sole is not very flexible, then any regular all strap crampon will work like the BD neve, contact, camp stalker univ,

Do you backcountry snowboard? If so, I would not take that plastic off. It is real hard to find a good back country snowboard boot. Most boots are way to stiff, high, and lean forward. This makes walking difficult so I would keep them as snowboard boots as they look great to walk in. (relative to normal SB boots)

thanks for the reply

how do strap on crampons compare to step in, for when i get a true mountaineering boot?

it's too bad i didn't ever get into skiing, and these aren't ski boots... then i could at least justify buying a set of aluminum strap-ons, for ski approaches. snowboard approach, aside from maybe being fun, doesn't seem like it's generally gonna be too practical.

Edited by bkb0000

For a beginner, I would suggest strap-on crampons such as the Black Diamond Contact Strap (stainless). These are suitable for a wide range of boots, from flexible sole light-weight hikers to stiffer medium-weight mountaineering boots. If you eventually get a pair of plastic boots (non-flex), a step-in style is better suited. And the Contact Straps are not well suited to STEEP snow or ice where front-pointing is expected and a non-flex sole is best.

• 4 weeks later...

Used crampons are ok. You'll find yourself building a quiver of them over time, but a decent pair of steel strap-ons are very versitile if you take the time to learn how to effectively strap them on. My first few seasons I had them repeatedly fall off on steep ice leads (!!) until I sat my ass down and learned.

If you are Seattle local you can go to Second Ascent in Ballard and they'll likely have something used for reasonable $$ and be able to fit it to your boot for you.