• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jennibsmiles

Mt. Hood - Jun/July 2011

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and relatively new to climbing, most recently made a summit hike of Mt. Adams ... what can I say? I'm hooked.

Anyone interested in summiting Mt. Hood sometime in June or July with a newbie (or two) in tow?

I have some flexibility with my schedule and can hike weekdays or weekends with a little advance notice. Re: experience, the Muir snowfield on Mt. Rainier is my playground (average 5-6+ hikes a season), and I make at least one summit hike of St. Helen's each year; Adams was my first hike using crampons/ice axe, but Mt. Hood is calling my name!

Why wait till June? If there is a good weather window on hood lets go. My first Hood summit was in Feb. and it was sweet, then in the summer it was crowded, scary, and not as purdy:)

June is pushing the end of the Hood season. July is not a time to be up there. Try and get in with someone going April/May.

I agree, a buddy of mine went up in May and says it was good. When I went up in late June I had a bit of ice, although ironically it was better that day and I did not hear the hissing ice much on the way down, but on the way up I was a little worried when I got pelted by an ice chunk. :ooo:

Thanks jrex - I appreciate the info! June was guesstimate based on the availability of one of my hiking partners, but the early the better!

Are you interested in hiking the mountain sometime? I have two experienced partners, one of whom has a flexible schedule, one who needs to plan ahead and can only hike weekends. Both are game to summit this again, but if mid-week works, my 'flexible' friend can make it happen - we'd just prefer to have someone else along with experience on Hood. We have one other hiker who would like to summit Hood as well, but he's new to the sport as well.

WOW, Josh - amazing photos on your website!

Thanks for the info on your experience - sounds like earlier in the year is going to be the better choice.