[TR] Winchester Lookout - The long way 1/3/2011

JasonG

Trip: Winchester Lookout - The long way

Date: 1/3/2011

Trip Report:

It was real pretty and we should have had great skiing, but Scott discovered a broken binding once we got to the cabin. Oh well, we had more time to enjoy the view and talk about Dallas. We had the Pleiades in full view and it brought back a lot of memories.

A visit by Mr. Scurlock was a great surprise, and the spectacular views didn't disappoint. South slopes were hit hard by the sun, but north slopes were quite nice for whatever form of downhill locomotion you enjoy. A great place to spend the night, but a bit of a grunt from the highway. We should have had sleds like the rest of the folks in the know. I was surprised by how busy the area was in the middle of winter, but sleds make for quick access, I guess. Lucky for us, we had the lookout to ourselves. Enough blabbing . ..here are some photos.

IMG_7830.JPG

IMG_7844.JPG

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7961.JPG

IMG_7942.JPG

IMG_8156.JPG

IMG_7980.JPG

IMG_8105.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

Gear Notes:

Whiskey

Approach Notes:

Long and scenic. Where are you supposed to park? We were scratching our heads at all the "No Parking" signs at the DOT maintenance yard.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene - Right above Twin Lakes off of 542. It is a worthy Winter objective and offers some great skiing as well as some nice rock/snow/ice scrambling.

Hard to beat the views toward the Border peaks from there although the snowmobile traffic can be a little much on the road up to the lakes.

• 3 weeks later...

The abuse by the 4th season folks has been particularly difficult to remediate (fractured shutter supports due to propping during storm events, shitting on the snow around LO, filth/garbage left inside the structure). We are looking into ways of further securing structure against usage in winter months. Don't count on this being available for further winter exploits.

David Inscho; Mount Baker Club Winchester chairman

That is too bad. We left it in fine shape (and took care of a rodent that was in the lookout), as had those before us. We also used the blue bags provided and packed it out. We didn't see evidence of abuse/littering/human waste/etc., . That would really be tragic if a few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us, but I understand, you have to protect the lookout. Unfortunately, I suspect that efforts to secure the structure in winter will lead to vandalism from frustrated yahoos.....

Regardless, thanks for taking care of the lookout, it is a great recreation resource!

• 3 weeks later...

@ Fairweather

Your snark only underscores the problem. 4th season visitors are a concern because the LO was not designed to be occupied during the winter months. Without rigorous stewardship from all users, the structure will be destroyed or rendered increasingly inaccessible; this has been the way for many other similar LOs. Perhaps best to tone down the misplaced sense-of-entitlement, especially when mere the preservation of a historical summit structure is at stake. It just may become more inaccessible due to abuse. But, thanks to the respectful folks...

Edited by D. Inscho

@ Fairweather

Your snark only underscores the problem. 4th season visitors are a concern because the LO was not designed to be occupied during the winter months. Without rigorous stewardship from all users, the structure will be destroyed or rendered increasingly inaccessible; this has been the way for many other similar LOs. Perhaps best to tone down the misplaced sense-of-entitlement, especially when mere the preservation of a historical summit structure is at stake. It just may become more inaccessible due to abuse. But, thanks to the respectful folks...

As an historian myself, I can certainly appreciate what's at stake. Not being familiar with your organization, I can only speculate vis-a-vis your stewardship and/or control over this public space, but I can appreciate the concerns you've expressed about winter damage. Heinrich & Co seem to represent the epitome of responsible stewardship and respect, and it seems to me that a more reasoned post--one that attempted to educate rather than antagonize--would have been appropriate on your part.

Edited by Fairweather

Thanks Curt, I was looking at that face as well when we were up there. Certainly doable for the hardperson, but maybe a bit stiff for me. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has climbed that face and what they found.

Edited by Heinrich