La Nina: A bust thus far??

telemarker

I'm no climatologist/scientist, so I'm totally talking out my ass, but it seems to me, from a lay person's standpoint, that this year's La Nina is not living up to the pre-event hype. I'm feeling a bit cheated, as the news PROMISED a nuclear winter. The skiing has been decent but relatively unimpressive. C'mon man! The natives are getting restless.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a gut feeling but it seemed like there has actually been more snow than usual in central oregon the past few weeks and hood got dumped on for a solid string there. We're finally seeing sidewalks in town again. Reports from Baker haven't been so bad either... but certainly not epic chairlift tunneling stuff yet

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for this I know this is NOT a kayaking site but this has been an EPIC whitewater winter season in western Wash. and recently in Leavenworth too, nonstop highwater levels !

Yes, unless we get lots more snow this springs runoff may be so so but it sure is nice now .

Edited by Mercyful Fate

I apologize for this I know this is NOT a kayaking site but this has been an EPIC whitewater winter season in western Wash. and recently in Leavenworth too, nonstop highwater levels !

Yes, unless we get lots more snow this springs runoff may be so so but it sure is nice now .

Cool! Thanks for the kayaking perspective. I was wondering if it was a good winter for you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In western MT the snow just keeps falling, to the point that I've been completely shut down getting to some ice routes in GNP and on the Divide that I'm working on. Snow level from Snotel sites and by personal observation is double that of last year. Avy danger has been high to severe since late December, and every time I think the pack is starting to consolidate, another storm comes through. We got another 4" in Missoula last night, and expect more on Tuesday. Epic lift-serve skiing, but the back country has been hands-off for those, like me, who shy away from avy danger. Mid-March looks like the earliest I'll be able to get back to the climbs. Those starved for snow should hop on I-90 and check out Snowbowl, Lost Trail, and Whitefish.