warmlite/stepheson tents

Norman

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own one, but I wish I did. I used a 3R on a week long ski mountaineering trip one time and was very impressed. Great in high winds, lots of room, went up quick, and oh so very light. The owner took care to not wear boots inside and had no problems with tears, as others complain about. The tent was a veteran of lots of long trips, including a Denali climb.

I own a climbers version 4 season double wall 2R Stephenson Warmlite (which is shorter than standard) and I love it.

At 2.4 lb, it packs to a size of bivy sack. Designated as a 2 person, it actually has plenty of floor space and is comfy enough for 3 people plus some gear on a multi-day trip. Cooking in the tent is awesome. It is not as tall as a BD Firstlight but who cares if you are gonna sleep in it anyway.

I used to have some condensation (mostly on the single wall inserts) but once you figure out how to position the tent relative to wind loading, this is not a problem anymore. A great tent otherwise!

At camp Hazard 11200', Rainier, July 2010:

4788197916_05f706835b_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The company Web site says these tents work good in 160 MPH winds!!

Wow... that's be great!!

And based on the company's reputation I truly believe it!!!!

Now..... the National Weather service says that in sustained winds greater than 155 MPH:

"A high percentage of frame homes will be destroyed, with total roof failure and wall collapse. Extensive damage to roof covers, windows, and doors will occur...Complete collapse of many older metal buildings can occur. Most unreinforced masonry walls will fail which can lead to the collapse of the buildings."

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/sshws.shtml

I had a 2r that I bought in 1977. I was still using it around 2003, and it was awesome. Looks like they are still making them just as well, if not better. They are minimally designed, but have reinforcement where needed. I wouldn't have minded a few more ounces of weight to make a few places more durable. Though nothing wore out over all those years of backpacking and climbing. I also still have and use the sleeping bag, from '78. Very good gear!