Bike Helmets?

boadman

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are designed for very different things. A bike helmet won't take any abuse - get some chunks of ice or rock bouncing off it and it's done. Plus they have huge holes in them that debris could go right through.

So yeah, a bike helmet is probably good for protecting you from whacking your head in a leader fall, but debris protection is the primary job of a climbing helmet, and bike helmets don't do that at all.

Autoxfil is partially correct. Do a search of the site for more information. There are a few different types of helmets that are specific to both climbing and cycling. Some are hard shells with minimal styrofoam or padding and others are mostly styrofoam or padding with a thin shell.

Bike helmets, in general, are made for a single, large impact and then should either be retired or HAVE to be retired because they are in pieces. Climbing helmets, again in general, are made for several smaller impacts and dont need to be retired until the outer shell is broken.

I dont know about you, but my head is how I earn a living so I dont fuck around with being cheap with helmets.

Yeah, but helmets like my old petzl one offer zero side or rear impact protection (because they rely on the space between the strap and the helmet) to cushion a blow. There are bike helmets with rigid outer shells that seem pretty similar, or even sturdier than climbing helmets like the Petzl Meteor. For instance, the Nutcases, or the Berg helmets. They also seem like they'd be much better for side and rear impacts. I'm honestly not worried about retiring a bike helmet if I get hit in the head by a rock and getting a new one. I'm more worried about taking a wierd fall and bonking my head on a rock, actually. I bet there are more climbing fatalities associated with head injuries from falls than with rock fall.

Oh yeah, and I searched for helmet and didn't find much.

Edited by boadman

Interesting observation from last week's climbing. Petzl hard shell and and a Petzl foam core both hit in -30 C temps by big dinner plates...broke the hard shell and didn't hurt the foam core.

It is suppose to be the other way around.

I have used a Salamader for years and generally take it on trips where I fly because it should be more durable. Not so convinced now after seeing a few hard shell helmets with broken shells.

Having broken a couple of bike helmets in crashes...I know which style of helmet I want protecting my head from head/object impacts and may now want for falling objects as well.

But it won't be a bike helmet. It will be a climbing specific helmet.

I think what you are looking for is a multi-impact helmet. These are not considered "cycling" helmets per se, but can certainly be used for cycling. YOu see them in BMX, Skatboarding, snowboarding, etc. Companies like BERN, Protec, Giro, Harro etc. make multi-impact helmets. These are going to be a similar shape as a climbing helmet but are designed to take multiple GLANCING blows. Thus they would be great for falling debris or maybe one bigger impact from ice or rock. However a fall for 30ft on your head will most likely crush the foam on the inside. BERN make a great helmet that comes with different inserts for summer and winter. The winter insert somewhat replaces a hat. Most cycling helmets and the low end are going to start around $45 for a unisex size and go up from there. As other people have stated these are made to be crashed on one time AND replaced every 3 years. If you are within that 3 year Mfg. date and you crash one one most companies will replace it for free. Climbing helmets and multi-impact do not usually carry these stipulations.

companies don't make and design helmets all willy nilly. They are purpose built. So if you are climbing, its probably best to go with a climbing helmet.