Chi Running

DanO

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been going through the book and I am actually learning a lot of different ideas about running. Don't know how well these ideas translate to hiking with a pack.

According to the book power running is more injury prone than using the methods of "chi" running. Since the guy practices super long distance running, like marathons and more I am sure he knows something worthwhile.

A few ideas is to run using the core of the body helping, to lean

forward at the ankles while running. Feet kicking to the rear of the body, as opposed to a more upright running position or a

power running type of movement. The author says he has success in

helping previously injured people run and to greatly reduce injuries by using his methods.

Dan

Went on a couple of hikes using the ideas he gives and it seems

to help, he claims that you can use up to 70% less energy by

using his methods over a bad running form and your recovery

time is much less than if using poorer form? With my very little experience with this I think he is right, of course I never studied different methods of moving etc, while walking, hiking and running before, I just went out and did it.

I see that his web site is very commercialized, luckily I got a

book cheap.

Dan

Edited by DanO

• 2 weeks later...
it is just running! why make a basic human function so complex?

lets see some chi digestion and pose pooping.

no matter what the running technique used, your knees will be shot someday. :)

is "chi running" making it complex?

i read somewhere that the ethiopeans and kenyans etc run barefoot for a long time initially, thereby developing perfect running form. meaning, no heavy heel strike, therefore no injuries (or less at least).

some tarahumara indians were convinced to enter the leadville ultramarathon back in the '90's, and won two years in a row, the first year by a 56 year old. in huaraches. fascinating culture.

Really fun read for those interested:

Born To Run, by Christopher McDougall.

• 1 month later...
it is just running! why make a basic human function so complex?

lets see some chi digestion and pose pooping.

no matter what the running technique used, your knees will be shot someday. :)

Yeah running shoes werent even popular until what the 70s? I think mass marketing and capitalism is what has actually made a simple human function complex.

• 1 month later...

A friend showed me the book which I subsequently bought, read, and implemented. Have to say after a fair amount of work changing my running style I am now able to run more efficiently and 8+ miles don't leave me feeling like ^#%^@$@@R%#$$#%@^!!!)(!*@^. That includes dirt roads, trail, and pavement. Take it for what you will.

I remember watching this video over and over as a kid simply trying to learn how to run more efficiently (for track).

I guess if you just take the right way to do something, slap a new name on it (usually having to do with core, extreme, something chinese, or a combination of those) and re-package it to the masses as something new and totally different, you can make a lot of money!

Reminds me of the Gait of power in Castenedas books.

I'm going to demonstrate a special way of walking in the darkness; the gait of power. My trunk is slightly bent forward, but my spine is straight. My knees are also slightly bent. Raise your knees almost to your chest every time you take a step.

The gait of power is for running at night, and it is completely safe. This is the night! And it is power!

At night the world is different. My ability to run in the darkness had nothing to do with my knowledge of these hills. The key to it is to let one's personal power flow out freely, so it could merge with the power of the night. Once that power takes over there is no chance for a slip-up.

You have to abandon yourself to the power of the night and trust the little bit of personal power that you have or you will never be able to move with freedom. The darkness is encumbering only because you rely on your sight for everything you do, not knowing that another way to move is to let power be the guide.

Keep on moving on the same spot and try to feel as if you are actually using the gait of power. First curl your fingers against your palms, stretching out the thumb and index of each hand.

You can always see fairly well, no matter how dark the night is, if you don't focus on anything but keep scanning the ground right in front of you. The gait of power is similar to finding a place to rest. Both entail a sense of abandon, and a sense of trust. The gait of power requires that one keep the eyes on the ground directly in front, because even a glance to either side will produce an alteration in the flow of movement. Bending the trunk forward is necessary in order to lower the eyes. The reason for lifting the knees up to the chest is because the steps have to be very short and safe. You are going to stumble a great deal at first but with practice you will be able to run as swiftly and as safely as you can in the daytime.

You can tear out most pages in the chi running book (the fluff).

Check out evolution running dvd. No fluff.

The pose running book is like a fluffy version of the chi running book but in more western/medical jargon. still mostly filler.

What i haven't done is examined the differences between the three techniques. ....or gone running in a while