smith theif

corvallisclimb

theif.jpg

The hippy douche on the left was caught by locals today after a long spree of stealing draws off some of the harder projects around Smith by stick clipping his ass up them. Who knows what else he stole. His excuse when caught was that they where unsafe. That is BS. Anyways you see this dude at the crag, slap him in the face. :fahq:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who actually caught the thief should make a flyer with said person's picture on it and post it up on the B-board at Smith and other locations so that others will know who to be looking out for.

111 - I am guessing caught by others climbers. I doubt the thief will get any LEO attention as quick draws left on routes for any extended period of time for the most part are considered technically abandoned. (Lets not start a discussion about it from a climbers point of view - plenty of that already).

On Christmas Day I headed over to Big R to get in a quick workout before over eating Christmas dinner. I noticed that 1 quickdraw was missing from the second bolt. I then noticed that the draws were also missing from Coleslaw and Chemicals and there were a bunch of drag marks in the dirt between the two routes. It appeared to me that someone cleaned the draws from Coleslaw and then had their belayer pull them over to pluck the second draw of Big R.

So Monday I decided to replace bolts on Overboard. While I was driving to the park Tim Garland called and told me someone was stick clipping up Big R. I arrived at the park and he was still stick clipping. We was not very experienced and it took him a long time to get to the top and set up the rappel. I just watched to see what he was doing. Then he started lowering and started cleaning the draws from both Big R (mine) and Starvation Fruit (Ryan's).

Tim Garland and Stan came over to help me out and we confronted the guy. He told us he was aid climbing and that the biners were worn out. We was going to take them and he would use them if he could "salvage" anything from them. He told us he was from Colorado Springs and all the places that he climbs at do not have fixed draws and if anyone leaves draws "they get taken down". He also admitted to taking the draws from Coleslaw a few days earlier. He gave us back all the draws.

He said this was his first time at Smith and had not even hiked to the main climbing area. He said he was leaving.

That could have gone bad for the guy:-) Sounds like he got lucky with some nice guys being the ones to catch him, and only verbally educating him. If he wanders down to Shelf road or lots of Colo locals, and someone like Bob D'Antonio catches him stealing his stuff it would be a different outcome. In the pic up there, the teacher in Tim looks to be coming out, like he might be saying, "THIS is a carabiner...THIS is how it works, see the gate?....it is owned by someone, if they chose to leave them on route it is for a reason....it is still not your's...." :lmao:

Glad things worked out!

theif.jpg

The hippy douche on the left was caught today after a long spree of stealing draws off HARD projects by stick clipping up them. Who knows what else he stole. His excuse when caught was that they where unsafe. That is BS. Anyways you see this dude at the crag, slap him in the face. :fahq:

Grow up. You abandoned gear on public land. He's collecting the booty. Why do you expect that you can leave your junk affixed to public space (until you feel like removing it) because you deemed it "HARD" and perhaps some sort of future "masterpiece"? You want to be "HARD" and environmental at the same time? Then PULL your gear after each of your rehearsals and you probably will offend less people AND guarantee that you'll get your gear back! Take it to court and I'll bet you'll LOSE BIG TIME!Slap him in the face? You still livin' in a cave? Who are the "Knuckledraggers?? Take that to court and YOU WiLL LOSE BIG TIME!