[TR] Bozeman Ice Festival + a few days

icmtns

Trip: Bozeman Ice Festival + a few days -

Date: 12/16/2010

Trip Report:

Geoff and I went to the Bozeman Ice fest to enjoy the social nature of climbing.

After watching Emily Stifler's, "Women at Work" a film on her recent women’s trip to the legendary Cirque of the Unclimbables in the Northwest Territories on Thursday we hit the ice!

420.JPG

Day one (Friday) 12/10/10):

I volunteered to help Majka Burhardt and Lilla Molnar (A.C.M.G, I.F.M.G.A) at the Women’s ice clinic: Vertical Runway.

Audrey Gariepy and Caroline George lead other women’s clinics. Hyalite Canyon on Friday was full of women ice climbers, about 60 or more!

Majka showing how to move on ice...I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Darts (Thanks Geoff!):

1513.JPG

Geoff ran into Dane in the afternoon and went into the canyon to find some ice.

Dane leading The Thrill is Gone.

561.JPG

615.JPG

We went to see the slide show "La Vie de Guy Lacelle” in the evening.

Day two (Saturday):

Noname wall was calling us today! We climbed Elevator shaft, Fat one, and Jeff’s right. Geoff lead the spooky Elevator, the mid/upper conditions were interesting. Then we set a top rope for some of our friends that we ran into in the parking lot and along the way.

Here I am hauling a rope up for our friends on Elevator Shaft (Photo credit: F. T.)

Florin.jpg

Day three (Sunday):

Thought about heading over to the Matrix, but found a team heading up there, so wandered over to Mummy II. We met up with some friends that were taking a clinic on Mummy II. Geoff decided to warm up(!!!???) on the scepter and I lead one of the left lines of Mummy II. My first lead of the season was kind, with nice plastic ice. I was also reminded why I wear a solid helmet like the ECRIN ROC....

Geoff leading Scepter

204.JPG

Cody joined us for some laps on the left lines of Mummy II

IMG_2947.JPG

After all the climbing we heading to the Rap party and feasted on all we could eat Spaghetti and beer.

Day four (Monday):

Deciding a trek was in order, we went to see what was happening at Cleo’s needle and twin falls. The weather was getting warm and cleo’s second pitch looked really soggy, so opted for Twin Falls. Wayne, Geoff and I spent the day climbing together on the left and right falls.

Other then a late arriving guided group we had the falls to ourselves.

Wayne and I on the left twin falls:

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_29772.JPG

Day five (Tuesday):

We decided a rest day was in order....Blame our friends, they spoiled us with their warm hotel room...

Day six (Wednesday):

Went up to the dribbles and ran into a guided group, so went and climbed silken falls then came back to the dribbles. Silken Falls was in fat WI3 conditions. After a warm up early in the week, it got really cold...Conditions were brittle on dribbles, with a lot of fracturing surface ice.

Leading first pitch of Dribbles

IMG_2997.JPG

:rocken: Thanks JoJo for making the Bozeman Ice Fest happen and providing an opportunity for ice climbers to get together in one canyon! :brew:

Gear Notes:

Standard ice climbing gear

IMG_2960.JPG

Approach Notes:

Lots of approaches for lots of good ice

(Photo credit D. S)

heart_ice.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic