REI Sucks

Choada_Boy

Kinda funny to watch all the hoops people jump through when they want to justify something.

No hoops necessary. REI is, except for a few annual sale price leaders, rarely the lowest price on any piece of outdoor gear or even close in my experience - and that's before sales tax. The difference is the premium I pay for the ability to return something :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought 5 First Ascent coats...OK, 3 FA coats and 1 Eddie Bauer coat this Christmas, specifically because of 2 things:

1st) They have awesome top notch quality.

2nd) The amazingly good return policy.

Knowing I can buy the smallest city down coat for my wife online, and having her be able to easily return it because when she first tried it this very am as it was too long {at about mid-calf}, is a great feeling of happiness. It was a good feeling to support local (I know this is most likely made overseas), but if REI stuff had hit that price performance point (800 fill down, Woot!), they'd have had my business. Anyone without that return policy would not have seen a nickel of my Christmas gift buying frenzy. I did get a sleeping bag from REI for my son. Nice to know he can return it with ease if I didn't fill his needs. REI doesn't suck, but no doubt they can do better in some respects.

BTW, took me a sec to figure out what the hell a "dead bird" harness was

Nothing says "I'm cool" more than tossing around the phrase"dead bird" on the inter net

Kinda funny to watch all the hoops people jump through when they want to justify something.

If you aren't satisfied with boots lasting only a decade, or your sleeping bag melting when you slept next to the fire, or the jacket that "tore" when your kid took a scissors to it, or the pants that wore a hole in the seat after hiking the entire PCT, or can't figure out how to patch your own thermarest...you CAN return it. Hooray for you!

If you're ok with that...go right ahead. You're apparently completely helpless ... but go ahead. =)

And don't forget to complain about how over-priced all this outdoor gear is as you walk out the door. Or wonder why companies focus on markets they can actually make money off of. Or rip on all those chumps who paid full price for that dead bird harness. You're better than them anyway.

:tup:

Knowing I can buy the smallest city down coat for my wife online, and having her be able to easily return it because when she first tried it this very am as it was too long {at about mid-calf}, is a great feeling of happiness.

Just so we're clear, I do not think there is any store in town that, if you bought someone a jacket as a gift, and they tried it on and it didn't fit, and the tags were still on it (since tags do not inhibit trying a jacket on), and they hadn't decided to wear the jacket to the grocery store and back just to make sure it was ok (since jackets do not fit better outside the house than in), that store would not be happy to accept a return of that jacket and give you your money back or credit or whatever. That jacket would go right back on the shelf for the next person, as it was still new merchandise.

What we're talking about is buying a jacket and wearing it for a few months and deciding it doesn't fit, and then deciding that somehow the manufacturer must be at fault and returning that jacket and expecting to get your money back. Caveat emptor.

It was a good feeling to support local (I know this is most likely made overseas), but if REI stuff had hit that price performance point (800 fill down, Woot!), they'd have had my business.

Dude, in no world is Eddie Bauer/First Ascent "local." All the FA stuff is made in China, which I would assume is at least partly why it's so cheap. And if you want good deals, why not shop at OMC where pretty much everything is on sale? Also, w/r/t China, remember back in the day when Arc'teryx stuff was actually made in Canada, and people were willing to pay a premium for that? Well FA is sort of like the anti-that: high end cheapness, looks fancy but cost pennies to make. They're like the Mad Rock of the outerwear market.

Also, for the record, I do not think REI "sucks." REI is REI. It's a big box outdoor store. It has good gear for some common outdoor pursuits - it's not Big 5 or GI Joe's or whatever the generic "outdoor" (read: hunting) store is these days. But REI is not a specialty climbing shop, and of course they don't carry super specific climbing gear (though it seems like an ice screw holder would imply ice screws...) or stuff from small companies that don't have the brand presence of TheNorthPataMarm'teryx. (Though employees in the climbing section who've never heard of Smith or Squamish? WTF?) We should be glad for this. It's why small climbing shops are still in business.

I'm not too worried about how you spend your money. Do your thing brah.

It's more of an impotent rant kinda thing for you? I'm cool with that broheim.

per the past couple garage sales the amount of returned REI brand shit apparel and other suburban crap dwarfed the few useful items... so I'll go with this being in the noise.

Also, for the record, I do not think REI "sucks." REI is REI. It's a big box outdoor store. It has good gear for some common outdoor pursuits - it's not Big 5 or GI Joe's or whatever the generic "outdoor" (read: hunting) store is these days. But REI is not a specialty climbing shop, and of course they don't carry super specific climbing gear (though it seems like an ice screw holder would imply ice screws...) or stuff from small companies that don't have the brand presence of TheNorthPataMarm'teryx. (Though employees in the climbing section who've never heard of Smith or Squamish? WTF?) We should be glad for this. It's why small climbing shops are still in business.

:tup: Pretty much sums up my thoughts on this overworked topic

• 2 weeks later...
hooray for corporate america!PS be very vigilant on your health care: most of these people are over worked, and work crazy hours--oops.

Um, isn't REI a Co-op?

technically, yes.

Ummm...technically no.

REI = Recreational Equipment INCORPORATED. It is a corporation that gives dividends. Look it up. And it has been this way for a long time.

You've been misled. REI is definitely a consumer co-op. That doesn't mean it can't be a corporation, or that it is anymore ethical than any other company. Best Western is also a co-op (a retail co-op), whose members are hotel operators.

Edited by rob

You've been misled. REI is definitely a consumer co-op. That doesn't mean it can't be a corporation, or that it is anymore ethical than any other company. Best Western is also a co-op (a retail co-op), whose members are hotel operators.

Techy techy techy. REI is a corporation with a special designation under the IRS. REI does file an 1120 annually with the IRS.

Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue has all that aid-climbing gear and more. You can even mail order it if you want. Yea you pay shipping but its cheaper than buying a car!

They also have a pretty good book selection: Smith Rock and Squamish both in stock.

Truth is you can sell cams and ropes to climbers all day long and still go outta business... those soccer moms buying high-end clothing keep ALL the climbing stores alive.

Happy Holidays!

THIS. Marmot is the store for all the funky hard goods etc. 1/2in Webbing is hard to find ANYWHERE.

Climbing Hards Goods = Business FAIL without softgood support. PERIOD. The ONLY place you might pull it off is in the heart of a climbing mecca (yos valley, gunks, boulder etc) Any other place where climbers are less than common and you need the mom's with TNF and Arcteryx. period.

Friend of mine from Edgeworks buys a completely beat up, worn out Mountain Hardware expedition puffy off a fellow dirtbag for a pittance. Takes it to REI, no receipt: "Uh, excuse me, but this jacket didn't last as long as it should have." They give him a brand new $600 puffy. He was so proud of his cleverness.

To me that's robbery. I'm sick of dirtbags basically stealing from society to live their irresponsible party lives. True, we all do it when we are young and stupid..."screw the man", and all that. But to keep working that angle for years on end when you know better, it's just wrong. If you believe in Karma...what goes around, comes around. I used to like the Smith crowd, Bivy Joel and all, but now they make me wonder. They seem like they are stuck in a time warp, and would benefit from getting on with their lives, even if it's a job at Starbucks.

The REI credit card is awesome. You get something like 10% back on every purchase as a member, plus another 5% when you buy with the card at REI. 3% back on gasoline, and 1% on other purchases,approx. Anyway, I got a $400 dividend last year, based mostly on card purchases away from REI, like my power bill.

Marmot in Bellevue is awesome. They have everything, hope they survive.

Friend of mine from Edgeworks buys a completely beat up, worn out Mountain Hardware expedition puffy off a fellow dirtbag for a pittance. Takes it to REI, no receipt: "Uh, excuse me, but this jacket didn't last as long as it should have." They give him a brand new $600 puffy. He was so proud of his cleverness.

To me that's robbery.

My friend that is not robbery. That is a company living up to its own standard. A standard that has made it what it is today. A giant in the outdoor world. I have friends like this....I try to persuade them that what they are doing is not right....but they are dirtbag climbers working the system.

God...I can’t believe I am sticking up for REI (Return Every Item).

you say it's not right, but it's not robbery? Is it both right and wrong at the same time?

REI's standard does not, nor has it ever, included returning items you did not buy from them. That's not only robbery, it's fraud. Do I think it's a big deal? No, because REI can suck my balls. But don't try to say it's NOT fraud, and dishonest theft.

Personally, I don't lose a lot of tears thinking about someone stealing from REI. But call it what it is.

REI's standard does not, nor has it ever, included returning items you did not buy from them. That's not only robbery, it's fraud. Do I think it's a big deal? No, because REI can suck my balls. But don't try to say it's NOT fraud, and dishonest theft.

:tup:

If he'd returned the jacket to Mountain Hardwear that'd be a different issue.

The REI credit card is awesome. You get something like 10% back on every purchase as a member, plus another 5% when you buy with the card at REI. 3% back on gasoline, and 1% on other purchases,approx. Anyway, I got a $400 dividend last year, based mostly on card purchases away from REI, like my power bill.

It is actually 5% on rei purchases and 1% on everything else (minus a few exceptions). That is actually not that great of a card if you are not planning to buy tons of stuff at rei. There are tons of cards out there that will give 1% for everything and something more (3%) for specifics, like gas, which we spend a lot more on.

plus it looks like you have to wait to the end of the year to get your "rebates" and it must be used at rei. Really, this is a lame credit card. (as is most credit cards)

Edited by genepires

Techy techy techy. REI is a corporation with a special designation under the IRS. REI does file an 1120 annually with the IRS.

because the title of corporation definitely means the company must be evil...asshat.