REI Sucks

Choada_Boy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like REI for several reasons. They are a coop and you get a healthy rebate back from what you spend. You can return items no problems, and they have good prices allot of the time.

They are not a mountain shop anymore, but I remember the days when they were and there always the smell of burning nylon from them cutting runners like a real mountain shop used to smell like and they had all the hardcore gear and somebody behind the rock climbing counter. That was back in the orginal REI store. We used to sleep overnight before the sales on the sidewalk and get incredible deals like boots, or tent, or sleeping bags $5-

good times.

i work there. i agree they totally suck as a climbing store now. but you cant fault them for being a good business, they make a shit ton of money selling soccer moms arcteryx shells that only get used between the suburban and safeway. and who among you dirtbags hasnt abused the shit out of that return policy? i know i have. i'd say rei is a shitty climbing store now yes, but they dont suck at what they do. and i bitch to my managers everyday that we dont sell anything cool anymore but to no avail!

What sort of climbing stuff do you need that you can't find there?

I've had all of the climbing gear I need for a few years now, but when I was still in the accumulation phase I could get all of the regular rock pro I needed there, plus a few pins, ice-screws, screamers, ascenders, etc.

Are people going in there looking for bashies and other aid gear and not finding it?

As a seller of climbing goods, they suck. For some of my other outdoor needs, they used to be great! They get worse every year.

and who among you dirtbags hasnt abused the shit out of that return policy?

I haven't. And as they get worse each year I reflect on the reasons why and this one comes to the forefront.

Short term memory loss?

???

and that people should NEVER shop there under any circumstances.

A generous gift card I was unable to tear in half with my Bear Hands.

Under "Snow and Ice Protection" they have two types of ice screw holders and a V-thread tool that is useless without ice screws, but no ice screws. They also sell ice tools. Please explain.

Things I've tried to buy from REI with no avail:

-ice screws

-aiders

-hooks

-1/2" tubular webbing

-pitons

-copperheads

Actually, they don't sell anything for aid climbing and not enough for ice climbing. And I can't get down to a real store in Seattle from Everett because I don't have a car (yeah, yeah, buses...did that once. Not again.)

stopped by Clacakamas for FS pass. Just did a quick look round; dig this-crampons but no mtn boots--hee haww!Talked w/former co-workers from there; and I thought I had a chip on my shoulder. Basically no rhyme nor reason for how they stock each store. and they never listen to the employee suggestions on what will work. ya, ax grinder here and such. hooray for corporate america!PS be very vigilant on your health care: most of these people are over worked, and work crazy hours--oops.

Edited by Lucky Larry

I went to the Tacoma REI to try to get either the new Smith Rock or Squamish Bouldering guidebooks for a climbing buddy's xmas gift. No guidebooks were in stock at all, the staff in the climbing section had never heard of Smith or Squamish.

Interesting comment above regarding soccer moms. Most of the customers at the Tacoma store appeared to be in their fifties, and judging by the cars they drove (lost of Lexuses), had a fair amount of money. They were probably getting new jackets for a trip to their condo in Whistler...lol.

hooray for corporate america!PS be very vigilant on your health care: most of these people are over worked, and work crazy hours--oops.

Um, isn't REI a Co-op?

Also; IMO, anyone who tears apart a helmet with his bare hands in front of store staff is acting in an intimidating and threatening manner. The police should have been called. Seriously.

Marmot Mountain Works in Bellevue has all that aid-climbing gear and more. You can even mail order it if you want. Yea you pay shipping but its cheaper than buying a car!

They also have a pretty good book selection: Smith Rock and Squamish both in stock.

Truth is you can sell cams and ropes to climbers all day long and still go outta business... those soccer moms buying high-end clothing keep ALL the climbing stores alive.

Happy Holidays!

hooray for corporate america!PS be very vigilant on your health care: most of these people are over worked, and work crazy hours--oops.

Um, isn't REI a Co-op?

technically, yes.

practically they've been changing their bylaws for more and more "corporate" control of the poor governance kind and taking advantage of a distributed ownership which has for all practical purposes fuck all control. As an example: previously REI Members (Owners) had the ability to nominate a candidate for election to the Board of Directors by collecting a number of signatures (I believe 1% of members - there's a thread here on cc.com with more) they've eliminated that.

JayB-

try buying Ski Touring or Telemark gear, the selection is increasingly poor with a number of stores that used to stock not stocking anything at all. If you are going to order online, why be hampered by a retailer that has local presence?

It is what it is. I rarely buy anything too technical at REI, but that's what specialty shops like PMS or FF are for. Great place to buy sleeping pads and shit, because when you break it they take it back. I took back a 5 year old harness there and got a new one, no problem.

Sucks to have gift certificate there if you are in the market for a product that they don't carry though.

hey hoodrat, thats seems unlikely. i work there nearly everyday and we've had two copies of the new squish guidebook on the shelves that havent moved in a month and the smith rock book is definitely there. though i will admit aside from myself not many of the other employees climb. its pretty sad really, we've got people that have never tied in telling people which shoes and harnesses are the best for them!

I'll fess up to abusing the hell out the REI refund policy. I often feel bad and think I'm going to hell for it.

-Natre

Well, when you get there move over cause I suspect the rest of us will be right there with ya. I've been buying, and returningm stuff from REI since 1970. Stuff I buy at Climbmax Mountaineering I'd never take back even if it fell in 2 pieces, yet anything at REI, even old shoes or gifts ....woof! I like to think that soccer moms buying Arterix support this bad habit.

Um, isn't REI a Co-op?

technically, yes.

practically they've been changing their bylaws for more and more "corporate" control of the poor governance kind and taking advantage of a distributed ownership which has for all practical purposes fuck all control. As an example: previously REI Members (Owners) had the ability to nominate a candidate for election to the Board of Directors by collecting a number of signatures (I believe 1% of members - there's a thread here on cc.com with more) they've eliminated that.

JayB-

try buying Ski Touring or Telemark gear, the selection is increasingly poor with a number of stores that used to stock not stocking anything at all. If you are going to order online, why be hampered by a retailer that has local presence?

Bought skis/boot/bindings online but had them mounted there for convenience's sake - but when I was strolling around the selection at the Flagship store seemed okay - but when I was looking for a whippet I went straight to FF.

Seems like the constant stream of people looking for super high-end/niche/technical gear at REI that wind up heading to FF has been good for FF over the years?