Regarding the new Petzl NOMIC and ERGO ice tools

Justin-at-Petzl

It has come to our attention that the adjustment system of the GRIPREST (the lower hand rest at the bottom of the handle) on the 2010 NOMIC (U21 2) and ERGO (U22) in some cases may not stay fixed in the desired size position.

This issue concerns NOMIC and ERGO ice tools with serial numbers between 10208 and 10329 and all GRIPREST (U21 GR2) accessory parts. It does not concern the new QUARKs or the older versions of the NOMICs, QUARKs and QUARK ERGOs.

Following conversations with end users and extensive lab testing, we have determined that this problem can occur when an inward force is applied to the GRIPREST, damaging the adjustment teeth at the base of the tool’s handle that mesh with the GRIPREST (see photo). Once this damage occurs, users may lose the ability to fix the GRIPREST in the desired size position.

Petzl has developed a solution to reinforce the GRIPREST, which permanently fixes it in the position of your choice (S, M, or L). This procedure will be expedited to reduce any interruption to your climbing season. Because this solution eliminates the ability to adjust the grip’s size, we will replace your tools with redesigned versions of the NOMIC or ERGO once they are available in autumn 2011.

Please note that this is not a safety issue, nor is it a recall. For complete information on the GRIPREST adjustment-system issue and the Petzl solution, please visit the following link:

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/news/products-news-1/2010/12/21/information-concerning-autumn-2010-versions-nomic-ref-u21-2-

Petzl offers our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

If you have further questions, please contact the Petzl America warranty department directly at returns@petzl.com returns@petzl.com. Due to the difficulty of monitoring multiple threads on multiple message boards, Petzl will not be responding directly to comments made on this or any other message board. Thanks for your understanding

Justin Roth

Communications Manager

Petzl America

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a heads up for anyone interested in the new tools. My impression from email conversations I've had within the EU recently is there aren't going to be a lot of the new tools around. If you want a pair might be best to pre order yours.

I have nothing to do with Petzl past climbing on their tools that I BUY with cold hard cash. And I don't have the new ones yet myself. But mine are on order and have been for a while now.

Just saying...if the EU is any indication...and you want a pair...might be best to get your order in now.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to ship back your old pair? Or did they already have them?

They already had them.

Shipped them in a month ago and told them just to send me the new ones when they're in and not to bother with the . No sense in wasting their money to ship the fixed tools back to me just to have them be shipped back and replaced a month later.

Shipped them in a month ago and told them just to send me the new ones when they're in and not to bother with the . No sense in wasting their money to ship the fixed tools back to me just to have them be shipped back and replaced a month later.

I have sent mine in at 27. june. I have been informed during this time that there had been some mix ups with the shipping...

Today I got a phonecall (no, actually it was me who called them) from my importer that the repaired tools have been sent back to me. Why bother sending the repaired tools if the new ones "seem" to be available allready (Nomic).

Viking Alpinism

Hopefully the axes are the new ones, inorder to avoid the hassle of sending the fixed axes back again when the (ICE-) season is actually on.

Funny you should ask. I sent an email a few days ago that wasn't answered fast enough for me. No big surprise of course as I get a little anzy not having tools. So I called the front desk today. They in turn hooked me up with Matt in warrenty and returns. Two minutes later (and they don't know me from John Frieh) I had an RA# and a UPS label in my email.

20 minutes later I hooked up with the UPS truck.

Funny you should ask. I sent an email a few days ago that wasn't answered fast enough for me. No big surprise of course as I get a little anzy not having tools. So I called the front desk today. They in turn hooked me up with Matt in warrenty and returns. Two minutes later (and they don't know me from John Frieh) I had an RA# and a UPS label in my email.

20 minutes later I hooked up with the UPS truck.

:laf: come on man... though I wish I dont have the super hook up at Petzl