Beacon tomorrow.

Plaidman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this site for years off and on and finally for what ever reason decided to join and ask a few questions.

Cheers

Todd

Welcome aboard! BTW, Ivans route, Stone Soup, is still awaiting a First Free Ascent. We were all speculating who would nail (opps- pardon moi, clean free I mean!) it! We pretty much agreed it would go, but not by us *cough* cough* .....Ivan, you should forward that topo to Tim. Next book is out soon.

Todd, whats the cliff by Beacon that's still open this time of year? Everything above @1500 feet is snowed in. That's less than 2 miles depending on the direction. Is it the lower cliffs on Hamilton?

I've read this site for years off and on and finally for what ever reason decided to join and ask a few questions.

Cheers

Todd

Welcome aboard! BTW, Ivans route, Stone Soup, is still awaiting a First Free Ascent. We were all speculating who would nail (opps- pardon moi, clean free I mean!) it! We pretty much agreed it would go, but not by us *cough* cough* .....Ivan, you should forward that topo to Tim. Next book is out soon.

Todd, whats the cliff by Beacon that's still open this time of year? Everything above @1500 feet is snowed in. That's less than 2 miles depending on the direction. Is it the lower cliffs on Hamilton?

dude, the rangers are watching :sick:

In looking at Olsens well drawn topo, it appears that from the midpoint anchors, Bears in Heat is on the left(obvious splitter in face to top anchors), then the dihedral directly to the right of Bears is Flying Dutchman final pitch and then the next dihedral that the rap goes down is Physic Wound. So the Dutchman rap goes down Physic Wound? Thats wierd......Ivan???

Dunno, the forecast looks good for Sunday from what I can see. So long as you have the right setup to wear for cold weather climbing it should be fine so long as the sun is out. Here's a dated post of the setup I use. Not sure what the equivalent outer tights and jacket would be these days, but the rest of it is all still available. Works great for me anyway (though you want shoes loose enough to wear warm socks comfortably for circulation).

Edit: This works for free climbing; nothing's really going to keep you warm belaying aid this time of year...

Jim O. says to bring a tarp to block the wind for the belayer. I was going to go out today but it was supposed to be 32 degrees wind a wind gusting to 50 mph. Down graded to 48 mph gusts with sustained winds of 31 to 34. I set my alarm for 5 am but trying to figure out the wind chill factor after turning off my alarm was to much work and I passed out again.

Wind Chill would be would make it feel between 12 and 14 degrees. Aiding I am not sure I could move fast enough to stay warm. Especially considering how slow I solo lead aid.

Edited by Plaidman

I don't know, but it seems like you're kind of doomed from the start if you need a tarp. I think you either have to get all stout and burly (think Baffin Island or Russian capsule assaults on high altitude big walls) or you have to be outfitted solid and move as fast as possible. Hunkered down suffering inch by inch in fierce biting winds, or brunch with Bloody Marys? Hmmmm? Waiter! Pepper vodka please...

Speaking of apparelTech, just scored a cold-weather hoodie of remarkable design and construction for $35 (retail $115) at the Columbia outlet shop in Sellwood. It's called a 'Galaxy Hoodie' and is ridiculously stout with a great neck/hood system. Possibly the clothing deal of the year. One note,though, the arms run a tad short for climbing so I got a large vs the medium I'd normally wear. I'd say run and grab one and tell the ever frugal O-man to make the trip.

BRRRRRR - It's friekin cold out here! Forecast for Monday looks dry. Anyone up for a lap or two?

I might be able to rearrange my schedule for Monday instead of tomorrow...

My people will contact your people and sort out the logistics. So far, I'm yo huckleberry. Let's look at the weather tomorrow night. I need to be done by 2ish to pick up the kiddos.

Kenny, where u at?

Speaking of apparelTech, just scored a cold-weather hoodie of remarkable design and construction for $35 (retail $115) at the Columbia outlet shop in Sellwood. It's called a 'Galaxy Hoodie' and is ridiculously stout with a great neck/hood system. Possibly the clothing deal of the year. One note,though, the arms run a tad short for climbing so I got a large vs the medium I'd normally wear. I'd say run and grab one and tell the ever frugal O-man to make the trip.
Like, OMG! I'm so there. Sthuper duper! :moondance: I hope it will go with my pink pons & tools...