[TR] Maui

Trip: Maui

Date: 12/8-14/2010

Trip Report:

Maui is great in December!

Highlights included snorking with >40 sea turtles within 150 feet of our condo, mass cocktails, coconut porter from Maui Brewery, getting the older sister-in-law married off, some of the best sushi I ever had, snorking 2 marine sanctuaries, and a good day of surfing.

PC110599.JPG

PC110609.JPG

PC110605.JPG

PC110611.JPG

PC110620.JPG

PC120658.JPG

PC120657.JPG

PC110637.JPG

PC120656.JPG

PC120664.JPG

PC120668.JPG

PC120665.JPG

PC1206801.JPG

PC120672.JPG

PC120671.JPG

PC130698.JPG

PC120678.JPG

PC090570.JPG

Gear Notes:

snorkel gear and underwater camera, coconut porter from Maui Brewery

Approach Notes:

flip flops and shorts

Edited by shapp

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT Flemings is a great place for body surfing, right on! Ya got to try Baldwins, just walk down the beach about 100 yards to the left from the parking lot, and it is more private and the waves better with a little sandbar under the water you can't see. That little spot at Baldwins is called Boobs Beach, as it is away from the main crowds so the gals stroll down the beach and lay out there topless, so another added benefit to an already amazing spot. Honolua is better for a boogie board or of course surfing. I remember just me and my buddy being the only guys out one special day, small waves, and then it just pumped up. We were the only ones out for about half a hour, just getting ride after ride, so thick and hollow and tube-u-lar,just awesome. I loved that place until a friend of mine died there on a big day. His lease got tangled in the under water cave rocks and they couldn't find him for a few days. It seemed kind of wierd to me to surf there after that, it just felt errie. Great marine park there to snorkel on a calm day.

That is interesting about Honolua, there were only a couple people out there when we were there, and although it was a great place, it felt a bit unsettling, I thought because of the weird private land scene at the beach, but maybe it was the spirits.

There as actually a very surfable wave forming on the extreme north (right hand side looking out toward the water) at Flemming. It was actaully barreling a bit. Few people on that side of the beach when we were there!

Edited by shapp

Honolua is a powerful place spiritually and allot of people have died surfing there. There is no outer reef and you are surfing right on the brink of the chasm of the deep blue Pacific. so the Landlord is always close by and the wave is very thick and the coast is rugged and wild with Molokai right across the channel from you. Spectacular.

Yes, right side of Flemings is da spot. Try surfing/boogie board Kahului harbor which is near the airport. There is a really nice break there. Its a juicy wave, always going off. Drive way out on the west jetty to the end and you'll see it right inside the harbor mouth.

Edited by stevetimetravlr