• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
telemarker

Leavenworth ice update

probably safe to conclude bucketz lives west of the crest and spends a lot of time in a cubicle. still, I enjoy his churlish personality and tart remarks.

People name these climbs because they enjoy talking about them and sharing their fun with others.Since it appears you don't share these interests maybe you might find another place to spew. If you don't have anything helpful to say (like "self-sroking douche fest") STFU. Dave A.

I hope its ok to ask this question here, I don't think it warrents a new thread. Anyone been around banks lake or vantage lately? I'm curious to see how climbs like trotsky's folly and Fugs falls are doing.

Before this recent cold snap, it's been very warm and devoid of any moisture. I didn't see any ice in the icicle last weekend when I was there. Guess you'll have to go to Banks to see for the rest of us!

How am I supposed to go ice climbing if there is no practice ice! I'm getting pretty steamed here. Last year I couldn't because I was a liability, this year there is no ice. What's it going to be next year? I'm planning on climbing the Kautz this year which I figure I should have some ice practice. Anyone know of good places for beginners besides Leavenworth?

Oh for all the whining on this thread about no ice...this ehem low angled highway gully was climbed on Monday and is about the same distance from Seattle as Leavenworth.

Untitled1.JPG

Oh look just a couple miles from the trail head

Untitled3.JPG

Approach fun to the water fall

Untitled2.JPG

At the base of the route

Untitled4.JPG

All done time for more Jello Mommy

I just did a quick recon up the Icicle since I was out of town all week. Just a glaze of ice on the Candlesteins (aka Careno L and R) and nothing on either Rainbow route. No ice on the Corner Route, Duty Dome, the Pearly Gates, or The Smear. It's 27F and snowing lightly, but I think the rock and groundwater is just too warm from our recent weather.

Go skiing.

Agree with Kurt. The cold snap is really nice but it would take a week+ for anthing that wasnt alredy reasonably well-formed to build into protectable quality ice. I know there are exceptions (Jeff always seems to ferret out something!) but I wouldnt expect Banks or Frenchmans or anything on the West side to coming in again. So these last couple days should be good for skiing but I think the recent trend was spot on: now is really the time to get into the alpine for NF Snoq, Pineapple Xpress, N F and NEB Chair, Dragontail, N B C Colchuck, all that goodness.

You guys could be driving 4 hrs north from L'worth to Kelowna and getting on the new WI6 and open project M10 at Christy Falls

Edited by G-spotter

I don't know where that Kamloops thing came from. I meant L'worth. Just head up the 97 and don't cross the bridge to Kelowna.

As of last week, 3/4, there looked to be climbable ice in the mountaineers creek area, just off 8 Mile Road. Can't recall what the names of the various crags are, but they're located east of the creek, easily visible from 8 mile rd. I snapped a few pics, but just haven't uploaded them yet. Just an fyi in case anyone is desperate for bavarian ice.

Thanks for the update. Went up Mountaineers Creek on Saturday 3/13 and climbed Mr. Seattle and a couple of shorter pitches downstream. We top-roped Mr. Seattle, but it is in protectable condition right now. As long as temps stay reasonably low, it should be in good shape for at least this week.

sweet. would love some pics. i wish I knew why the mountaineers creek didnt come in more reliably, it's an awesome playground! maybe it needs sun on the slopes above to get enough water moving downhill.