Leavenworth ice update

telemarker

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People name these climbs because they enjoy talking about them and sharing their fun with others.Since it appears you don't share these interests maybe you might find another place to spew. If you don't have anything helpful to say (like "self-sroking douche fest") STFU. Dave A.

How am I supposed to go ice climbing if there is no practice ice! I'm getting pretty steamed here. Last year I couldn't because I was a liability, this year there is no ice. What's it going to be next year? I'm planning on climbing the Kautz this year which I figure I should have some ice practice. Anyone know of good places for beginners besides Leavenworth?

Oh for all the whining on this thread about no ice...this ehem low angled highway gully was climbed on Monday and is about the same distance from Seattle as Leavenworth.

Untitled1.JPG

Oh look just a couple miles from the trail head

Untitled3.JPG

Approach fun to the water fall

Untitled2.JPG

At the base of the route

Untitled4.JPG

All done time for more Jello Mommy

I just did a quick recon up the Icicle since I was out of town all week. Just a glaze of ice on the Candlesteins (aka Careno L and R) and nothing on either Rainbow route. No ice on the Corner Route, Duty Dome, the Pearly Gates, or The Smear. It's 27F and snowing lightly, but I think the rock and groundwater is just too warm from our recent weather.

Go skiing.

Agree with Kurt. The cold snap is really nice but it would take a week+ for anthing that wasnt alredy reasonably well-formed to build into protectable quality ice. I know there are exceptions (Jeff always seems to ferret out something!) but I wouldnt expect Banks or Frenchmans or anything on the West side to coming in again. So these last couple days should be good for skiing but I think the recent trend was spot on: now is really the time to get into the alpine for NF Snoq, Pineapple Xpress, N F and NEB Chair, Dragontail, N B C Colchuck, all that goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

As of last week, 3/4, there looked to be climbable ice in the mountaineers creek area, just off 8 Mile Road. Can't recall what the names of the various crags are, but they're located east of the creek, easily visible from 8 mile rd. I snapped a few pics, but just haven't uploaded them yet. Just an fyi in case anyone is desperate for bavarian ice.

Thanks for the update. Went up Mountaineers Creek on Saturday 3/13 and climbed Mr. Seattle and a couple of shorter pitches downstream. We top-roped Mr. Seattle, but it is in protectable condition right now. As long as temps stay reasonably low, it should be in good shape for at least this week.