Gorge ice Dec. 22-24

calford

I'll be down from Seattle staying with family in Portland next week, looking for anyone who needs a partner for a day trip to the ice in the Gorge (if there is any). I haven't climbed there so you'd have to be the tour guide, more or less. It's my third season climbing ice, can lead WI 3s and maybe some easier 4's, but I am safe and can provide the rope and belay on the harder stuff.

If I'm a total idiot and there's no chance of ice being there next week, let me know and I'll delete this.

Let me know if you're up for it.

Cameron @ 503-880-8673

Edited by calford

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorge might not be frozen but Coethedral should be in starting tomorrow for sure. 60 miles from PDX.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/oregon/coethedral/106865073

It is, as far as I know, still virgin and unclimbed ice awaiting first ascents. Only a handful of people have climbed there on the rock in the summer time so far, so that means that it's a total winter ice adventure. Noaa is calling for snow with lows of 25 and highs of 28 tomorrow. Most likely means that there is ice. In. Now. Virgin, unclimbed ice. All week.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.11230010229608&lon=-122.21026618033648&site=pqr&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

There looks like there might be some currently formed on the upper walls in the oregon side right now in the gorge. I was out in the rain Sunday and could see a few strips here and there in the upper gullies - pretty warm though.

Just called Rick he is dubious about making the trip out there. We were at Rocky Butte today dry tooling on the lower wall at the top of the Butte. It was more like wet tooling in rock shoes. We set up a top rope and we each did 3 laps. Rick did another wearing his work boot. Much harder that way. Basically hauled himself up with his arms. But that is the way he climbs most of the time.

Edited by Plaidman

Access would be to drive up the Clackamas river road as it should be clear all the way, then up FS 4620 till you hit snow. Park, back the snowmobiles off the trailer and go, probably only be a few miles. Or it would be about a 1 mile X-Country ski as the crow flies up sandstone creek: the creek which is close to the start of the 4620 road.