Hood Pics

billbob

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My contribution: NE Face descent, upper Cooper Spur. Dan Helmstadter, skier.

All I can say is that you guys have some big ones. I love to ski and there are a lot of things that I aspire to, but I could never do this. I just don't think I could look death in the face and then ski without making a mistake.

trip report

In the pics on your trip report I can see that you are wearing harnesses, but were you ever protected or belayed at any time? Also I can't imagine that a self-arrest would be possible using the whippets. How well would they have worked on that slope on that day?

Looks like you got the perfect day and you brought the skills and the attitude that were needed. Well done. Very impressive!

Edited by pcg

My contribution: NE Face descent, upper Cooper Spur. Dan Helmstadter, skier.

All I can say is that you guys have some big ones. I love to ski and there are a lot of things that I aspire to, but I could never do this. I just don't think I could look death in the face and then ski without making a mistake.

trip report

In the pics on your trip report I can see that you are wearing harnesses, but were you ever protected or belayed at any time? Also I can't imagine that a self-arrest would be possible using the whippets. How well would they have worked on that slope on that day?

Looks like you got the perfect day and you brought the skills and the attitude that were needed. Well done. Very impressive!

Hey! Thanks! It was quite the perfect day, minus the postholing below the Cooper Spur. We put the harnesses on just because it looked cooler :rolleyes: The harness is handy in case, for some reason, you have to tie into the slope (with your axe, daisied to your belay loop and wedged between your pack and lower back). I think the snow was really too soft for a self-arrest, but the whippets are good psychological pro nonetheless. Conversely, the softer snow meant better edge bite.