[TR] Strobach - FA: The Responsible Ladies Man WI5 12/5/2010

powderhound

Trip: Strobach - FA: The Responsible Ladies Man WI5

Date: 12/5/2010

Trip Report:

Left PDX at 9pm and headed to strobach friday night with skander, found FS rd 1202 beat down by plenty of hunters and other wander's, so I risked it and drove the jetta wagon up the road. Parked at the 2nd meadow and slept for a couple hours. used slow shoes to approach, but didnt sink too much, only about 14in's of snow. came to the motherlode to find things thin but still forming.

drop_therough_power.jpg

dropline through tower of power

the routes lookers left of dropline until separation gully were in but thin...so I guess in is subjective to some.

I had never been over to primus suckus so I walked that way. first on the left looked the most in of any of the routes. unholy baptism's first pitch was a cool looking thin sheet of ice.

we climbed this: which is am pretty sure is a FA. now maybe known as "the responsible ladies man"

ladies_man.jpg

P1: Ascend body length pillar starting in lower left corner of picture to smear in corner to the ledge WI3+ M4 30M, stubbies, BD #3 pecker, #3 & #.75 BD camalot for pro. could place more in crack left of smear. Walk on ledge sixty feet to second pitch. Good yellow alien and #1 pecker for anchor just right of 2nd pitch ice.

Pitch 2: 46M WI5

upper_pitch.jpg

I recommend not toping out.

Having Fun:)

having_fun.jpg

back in portland by 10pm for a date

Gear Notes:

slow shoes, compass, whiskey, herb like fruit, next time bring more than nine screws.

Approach Notes:

Look in the guide

Edited by powderhound

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations! To my knowledge this is indeed an FA, as the one party who had attempted it previously - on their first exploratory adventure to Strobach - made it halfway up before they bailed due to daylight.

Looks great, looks harder than the typical shape I've seen it in, so good work getting after it in thinner early season shape!

Very aptly named :)

For those of you not as familiar with the area, this is perhaps the most "formed" I've seen this area this early in the season in a very long time. Bodes well for a strong ice season up there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
WI5.4

Thanks, that doesn't help much though! I'm not as good of an ice climber as you are, I imagine, so I can't just jump on any old WI5. But if its easy for the grade or not a total sandbag, I might feel more comfortable getting on such an unpublished route. Oh well probably out of my league anyways.

So I don't want to intrude on anyone's sacred ice climbing territory, but anyone looked at Strobach for summer rock potential? I've hiked that cliff line a couple of times over the years, most recently probably 10 years ago, and always thought it looked...interesting, but I've always been focused elsewhere in the Tieton. There are dirty swaths where the winter ice forms, but there's also lots of clean rock, and the striking arete to the right of TRLM has always stuck in my mind.

Just wondering.

Andy