Oregon Climbing History

corvallisclimb

Hey Shapp,

I'd be real interested to find out about Baby Rock and any other of the outcroppings near there. I went up to Monteith Rock with a friend just yesterday to scout it. Monteith maybe climbable but probably not protectable...real crumbly. I'm not a geologiest but looked like falling apart sedimentary. We then made a lame try to get to Baby Rock on FSR 328 but it was getting darkish and we didn't make it. some of those outcroppings look columnar from 58.

Anybody?

G

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Springfield High School machine shop in Oregon, I built a fully operational 19th century model naval canon that has a 50 caliber bore and have shot it several times. They don't teach that anymore.

the next zombie apocalypse will mend that trend i'll wager :)

Some notes to back up the pictures...

The tent stakes where from the original ascent. It amazing how they are still there and suprisingly solid all things considered.

On the first ascent of Steins Pillar, the FAist pulled most of their homemade hangers from the philips shells. So when Fred Becky, and I think Eric Bjornstad and who else I cant remember came for the second ascent, they found this out. So the drove back to Prineville and bought half inch lead strips about half a cm thick. They wrapped this around various pitons to the right thickness and hammered them in to the holes. Bomber, hence all the crap. I'm thinking I'm going to give Steins a solid clean up job in a month or two.

Why clean the route of such history?? I found the route plenty safe and seeing these classic relics makes it quite fun, not generic and dumbed down..

that's the impression i got last fall as well - there are enough new bolts to keep you from taking a bad fall if one of the relics you're using chooses to fail, and certainly the funky old stuff serves as a vertical musuem :)

Why clean the route of such history?? I found the route plenty safe and seeing these classic relics makes it quite fun, not generic and dumbed down..

that's the impression i got last fall as well - there are enough new bolts to keep you from taking a bad fall if one of the relics you're using chooses to fail, and certainly the funky old stuff serves as a vertical musuem :)

Easy to leave some junk for the history, but people keep pounding more metal into that thing so they can free climb it, and I think that its more of a mess than anything. Would be nice to see it cleaned up a bit.

It is free climb-able at a relatively moderate standard. Jeff Thomas and crew added and/or replaced just enough bolts to make it safe when the FFA was made(1979). Other than anchors and upgrading those original free climbing bolts why not leave well enough alone?

It is free climb-able at a relatively moderate standard. Jeff Thomas and crew added and/or replaced just enough bolts to make it safe when the FFA was made(1979). Other than anchors and upgrading those original free climbing bolts why not leave well enough alone?

I climbed it twice last year and each time there were different pitons in the same spot (new ones) obviously people try and pull the pins they think are booty, instead they are placed for free climbing. Why not put bolts????

It's not like he is talking about filling in all the old Angle holes but cleaning up some of that junk that could get someone hurt is a good idea.

Ummm Craggyman- I appricate your concern for historys sake, but thats about as far as your argument makes it. As I stated before the FA party pulled all of there hangers, the only original things are the empty shells, wich led to the addition of many more useless bolts. The only history your seeing are those bolts added by other later parties because the FA party did not use the proper hardware. Its great that your okay with free climbing on the old shitty hardware, but that route is not getting freed at all any more because that crap only gets older and people only get wiser. Saying that replacing the bolts is "dumbing the route" down is asinine. Next time I dumb a route down I'll make sure and let you know.

Edit: Also this thread is about climbing history, not about the ethics of replacing old hardware. If you want to question my actions please do it via PM.

• 1 month later...