Modifying Older Style Cobras for Leashless Use

rock-ice

Like a moron, I bought the viper/cobra fang mod without checking if it would fit. And, as the attached pictures illustrate, it doesn't fit (Much appreciated if someone could get them to post in the thread). I think my tools, which I bought used, are a year or two too old. Am I right?

I read here about people shaving the metal on the spike off to give it a thinner profile. How might this work? It looks I'd still need to drill a hole to fasten the fang on.

4345.thumb.jpg.126891509d5e984b02231b345e2b0baa.jpg

4346.thumb.jpg.2fa83d45a8f4e70df6e07301ea27e932.jpg

4347.thumb.jpg.1050652937df3c54d0fb00f1428ee603.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your pictures are way too fucken big. that tool is so sexy. i don't regret selling mine, but i miss them.

don't be afraid with your mods. test it. if its solid, it is probably solid! lol

i can't remember what i used, but the mods i did to those tools where totally solid. something similar.

I used a Dremel and a sharp knife to modify the fangs somewhat for old style cobras; it took alot of time and patience as if you overdo it, you completely ruin the fangs. But the reality is the spike on the old Cobra is not designed to support the fang (and therefore your weight) well enough. You will find them flexing and awkward and anything but confidence-inspiring for modern leashless climbing.

Your choices are basically different tools, keep Cobras and use Androids, or dunno. I swapped my old cobras for old vipers with Fangs probably 4? years ago, and climbed on the Vipers perhaps 2 years before I went to new Cobras

There's a picture in Will Gadd's ice and mixed climbing book of what I think is an old-style Cobra modified for leashless climbing (I could be wrong though, I don't have the book with me and it's been a little while since I read it). You might want to email him or post on his blog asking about it.

There's a picture in Will Gadd's ice and mixed climbing book of what I think is an old-style Cobra modified for leashless climbing (I could be wrong though, I don't have the book with me and it's been a little while since I read it). You might want to email him or post on his blog asking about it.

I remember seeing that as well, which is why I thought this would be so easy. . . Rather than risk ruining the fang or the spike, I think I'll just pick up a pair of used quarks. They come with the pinky rest and from what I am seeing here it is pretty easy to add a trig rest for matching. Thought?

OMG, if it is not the newest fusion or the raddest newest thang out there, then people will laugh. We can't be climbing on ancient 3 year old tools. Surely death follows those whose refuse to buy new tools every other year.

I have some 2004 quarks with the pinky rest added on late (had to trim away some plastic and it was real easy). Been very happy with it and not looking at getting anything new. unless there is more spray and drool over the new fusions. ooooooohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh.

Besides buying new means going leashless. and that ain't happening

You could use a plastic clipper biner as your leashless grip if you have big hands. I tried this on my cobras but my hands weren't big enough to really work. this takes a real man.

take a plastic clipper biner like the BD ones. flat and simple is best.

cut the spine near the top and the other side near the gate. should be "J" shaped.

tape the hook really hard onto the shaft.

this is so old school that dane, blanchard and josephson will want your autograph and buy you a beer. For those in SLC, Layton will be doing the old school leashless rig groupie following and buying of beer.

Edited by genepires

"I have some 2004 quarks with the pinky rest added on late... Been very happy with it and not looking at getting anything new"

Why would you? Bit heavy compared to the newest tools (which might well be a good thing) but the original Quarks with a grip rest are still state of the art in modern ice tools.

Gene..the guy who wears a belt and suspenders on his Quarks :)