Orizaba in Feb

Jordan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could find VERY little info on the route. Even the guide book only has about two sentences on it. But it can be approached off of the trade route, as can the eastern glacier route which the book describes as the most difficult on the mountain heading up a narrow couloir at 60+ degrees. And lets face it, everything is difficult at 18 thousand feet! I'm not dead set on Serpent's head. I'm kind of a "Lets go and see what happens and who knows we might climb it a couple of times by a few diff routes while we're here" kind of guy. haha I figure I'll bring a long rope, all of my gear, and enjoy mexicos highest mountain and friendly people.

I attempted to climb the trade route last January but ended up spending three days in the hut at 15,000 ft while a blizzard dumped several new feet of snow on the mtn. This season, my partner isn't available so I'm considering options to get up that peak. Haven't climbed that much water ice, so I probably wouldn't be interested in doing ten pitches to start out, but if you wanted to consider another route I could be interested. I'm in Seattle.

Well I've got one or two friends locally that are both waiting to see what happens with their job over the next week or so. If it pans out I will be going with them, if not, I'll get in touch with the two people on here that have expressed interest. The water ice might be out because of partner issues as well as it may or may not be in. Lots of routes to chose from though. I just dont want to be following a train up the thing.

• 2 weeks later...