Shuksan grand central station NYC pic/mural?

olyclimber

John Scurlock tried to post about this, but apparently the board hiccuped.

"was just wondering if that shuksan mural still existed, if anyone had ever seen it, etc., I was looking

around on the internet and couldn't find it."

I searched around and discovered that it was apparently an Ira Spring commissioned photo.

I didn't find out the fate of the photo though. I don't think it is still hanging or if it even still exists.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not uncommon at all to see pictures of Shuksan in commercial establishments in places where local mountains are bigger and mightier. Once I found one in a tiny restaurant in Uspallata near the Argentinian Andes. I heard/read that Shuksan was among the most photographed mtns in the world. May be because that Lake Ann view is super classic?

My all-time oddest glimpse of that mural was walking into run-down 60's style motel in the middle of the desert (Gila Bend, AZ) and seeing an entire wall (10x10 feet+) covered by a Shuksan photo-mural. That was probably about 15 years ago and now the motel is gone. It was truly a WTF? moment.

It's not uncommon at all to see pictures of Shuksan in commercial establishments in places where local mountains are bigger and mightier. Once I found one in a tiny restaurant in Uspallata near the Argentinian Andes. I heard/read that Shuksan was among the most photographed mtns in the world. May be because that Lake Ann view is super classic?

Funny - I saw a Shuksan mural in the "Croatian Social Club" - Oruro, Bolivia.

The classic Shuksan angle, as seen above, was even featured as the backdrop of a Nintendo racing game, one of the newer versions of Super Mario Cart, I think. You'd race around the track and the mountain would come into view and slide left or right in the background depending on which way the racetrack turned at a bend.

Speaking of, spotted a Shuksan poster at a trekking lodge on the Everest trek in Nepal!

also one on the annapurna trek; seen it in Kashmir and southern India as well. New Zealand and Europe to... so anybody seen it in Africa?

Curious if it or Mt. Fuji are the most reproduced real mountains in the world? (assuming the Paramount is the most reproduced "mountain")