Slinging hooks

rocketparrotlet

I just got a bunch of hooks, but they are not slung, so I decided to go to REI and buy 1/2" webbing. They don't carry it, so I bought 9/16" instead. It's too fat and touches the rock in place of the "corners" of the hook. Will 1/2" be better? (I'm slinging Choinard skyhooks and Leeper Logan hooks.)

Also, where do I get 1/2" webbing near Everett?

-Mark

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, I've always used 5/16" or 7/16" tubular, it's not as durable so you'll have to replace it more often, but it works for bodyweight which is what you're using it for. I've also used 1/2" supertape but it's bulkier. Here's a hint for avoiding the problem of it touching the rock. Before you sling it the hook, tie a short pre-cut loop with a fat knot (this works better with supertape). Then push a bight opposite the knot through the hole from the inside (rock side) so the knot jams against the hook and doesn't have to loop around the entire hook. All the loop will be outside the hook, facing you. Keep the total loop diameter to about 3" or less.

I have all of my hooks threaded with the knot being on the outside. If it's under the hook it get's in the way. The same problem your having with the larger sized webbing. I think this is what W meant to say because I can't see it working the other way around?

I have all of my hooks threaded with the knot being on the outside. If it's under the hook it get's in the way. The same problem your having with the larger sized webbing. I think this is what W meant to say because I can't see it working the other way around?

Oops...yes...thank you, that is what I meant.

So what I did is I tied an overhand knot (like an EDK) with both ends and pulled the loop through. I had a backup single overhand on the inside to prevent the webbing from coming out. This is not what was preventing the hook from catching; it's out of the way. The webbing is just too fat. I can take pictures later today.

Where can I get some 7/16" tubular?

So what I did is I tied an overhand knot (like an EDK) with both ends and pulled the loop through. I had a backup single overhand on the inside to prevent the webbing from coming out. This is not what was preventing the hook from catching; it's out of the way. The webbing is just too fat. I can take pictures later today.

Where can I get some 7/16" tubular?

You don't need 7/16". 1/2 should work just fine. All of my hooks are slung with 1/2 inch and I've never had a problem.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/climbdetail.cfm/ABC100

There should not be any knot on the inside of the hook. The biner keeps the loop from pulling out and the knot is plenty strong for the forces you should be putting on a hook. If you fall on a hook you will discover that the webbing is not the fail point...

The_Great_Roof_13_.JPG

Don't do this. Bad form, kinda scary and real stupid.

Not sure I'm seeing how a knot will be out of the way but just the thickness of the webbing is too much. Maybe your pics will clear it up for this idiot.

I have all my hooks slung with 1/2" tubular... I dont like all that webbing underneath the hook either so I find it better to just tie a loop of 1/2" thru the hook so there is only one thickness of webbing behind the metal... I realize there are different approaches here but my hooks have worked very well for many many years. Marmot Mountain Works stocks 1/2" tubular as well as 9/16" which in my estimation is too thick. I've taken a 7'-8' slab slider onto a filed down bat-hook with 1/2" webbing and it held!