Now That's Funny

Plaidman

From Super Topo Thread:

Have you ever started a climbing rumor on accident?

By deuce4:

My favorite was how I described in the Big Wall Tech Manual about how to "X-em, Rock-em, Paste-em, and Sniff-em" when placing heads. The "Sniff-em" part was a joke --"if it stinks, get off it!"

Then the Mountaineers in Seattle completely plagiarized my work in the 5th Edition of Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills. They took the "Sniff-em" part literally, and described in detail how a bad copperhead would emit some sort of special odor.

I wrote to the Mountaineers, one, to complain about the unacknowledged and blatant rip-off of my written work (about 20 pages of Freedom of the Hills was my work, paraphrased), and two, to point out to them their ridiculous error. I never heard back from them.

For years afterward, I heard climbers talking about the special odor of a bad copperhead! Even by some experienced wall climbers who had actually placed a head (not like the plagiarizers at the Mountaineers, who had obviously just rewritten my work without any real knowledge of aid climbing).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned to climb with the Mounties way back when, and also had the privledge of climbing with a few of them in recent years. There are some pretty damn good climbers in the Mountaineers as well as aid climbers,so I find it funny people are jesting at them although I guess I have done it as well thru the years. Anybody out there getting it done, well got to hand it to them. It a big organization that introduces allot of people to the sport, so they do have allot of slow moving groups out and about which doesn't help their image I guess.

and a bad copperhead does stink. either that or you soiled your britches bitches!

From Super Topo Thread:

Have you ever started a climbing rumor on accident?

By deuce4:

My favorite was how I described in the Big Wall Tech Manual about how to "X-em, Rock-em, Paste-em, and Sniff-em" when placing heads. The "Sniff-em" part was a joke --"if it stinks, get off it!"

deuce4 is Middendorf then?