neoprene lacing for snowshoe repair

markwebster

Does anyone know where I can find some Neoprene Lacing to repair a 1977 Sherpa snowshoe?

IMG_3416.jpg

This stuff is pure neoprene, not reinforced with fabric. It is translucent, stretchy and very durable. It's 5mm wide x 2 mm thick.

IMG_3414.jpg

I used to buy it in 50 foot lengths but I can't remember where, and I can't find it online. I also make these 7 inch custom ski pole baskets for the deep powder days at Paradise.

IMG_3419.jpg

I don't snowshoe anymore, but when we take beginners backcountry skiing, they never have skins, so these old snowshoes allow them to hike up.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are looking for non-expanded neoprene as opposed to the stuff they use in wetsuits that is expanded with tiny bubbles in it to make it insulate more. Seattle fabrics sells the wetsuit stuff but they make have a suggestion.

If that fails you may try making some lacing out of vinyl coated nylon (like they use for haulbags and for the boot strap on many gaiters). I don't know how wide it would need to be for what you need or if you could fit it through the existing holes though.

Or replace the whole deck with the stuff and rivet it. Or some other synthetic cord? Spectra?

I have a pair of Sherpas, same vintage, I use for loaners. Needed tail repairs, coudn't find the real stuff, either. Used strips cut from heavy duty inner tube. Also used strips cut from a length of Coverlight Neoprene from Seattle Fabric, similar to the decking-may have some left I can share-will look tomorrow.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/vinyl.html#Coverlight%20Neoprene

• 2 weeks later...

I found the neoprene lacing in Canada. This guy repairs Sherpa Snowshoes and sent me black Urethane Lacing for 80 cents a foot:

http://www.irl.bc.ca/Forestry%20Supplies/snowshoes.htm

but it is slightly *thicker* than my old stuff, so my j-clip plyers are too small and I'm screwed. This lacing is so slippery and springy that you can't tie knots in it. I have no way to re-lace the snowshoes when I can't tie knots, or use j-clips clamps. The j-clips are shaped like a j, and made from aluminum 1mm x 15mm x 7mm.

Does anyone know fasteners, or know where to find bigger j-clip plyers? They are used on rabbit cages (and snowshoes). I'm wondering if a fastener made for electrical wires might work...?

• 1 month later...

Instead of j-clips I used 5/16 x .014 brass tubing from OSH Hardware (stock #133).

I cut small pieces with a tubing cutter.

I crimped it with the cutting part of electrician's pliers.

One foot of it did one pair for $2

My lacing was from Sherpa

Scott

Edited by k6sn

Awesome idea!! My solution was to use copper wire swages for 1/8" wire, but they were overkill. Your solution looks much better. I'm gonna' get me some of that copper tubing. I think I've seen it at home depot, and in hobby shops.

How long have your homemade swages lasted? Those rabbit j-clips last decades.

It's odd that the images won't show up on this board. I can navigate to them with your link, but they won't show with the standard image code for the board. Probably flicker intercepts them as a misuse of the bandwidth?

I got the lacing free from Sherpa over 10 years ago and it sat in my basement until last month. My son (age 19) had his first snowshoe trip planed with friends, so, after failing to get Sherpa's j-clips to work, I was off the the hardware store with a sample of the lacing and ended up with the tubing. His trip fell through, so, the shoes have yet to touch snow.