more retro bolts, really?

johnkelley

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"locals only" isn't what I'm getting at really. I'm saying retro bolts that some wanker puts up on the old TR aren't cool and poorly researched and badly written guide books aren't cool. Has anything good come from this guy? Retro bolts, slackline bolts, a crappy book, book signings, a bs web forum, etc.

• 2 months later...
Looks like someone put the axe to Splat Button and Hocus Pocus

I'm just keeping you honest John. Truth be told, I'm unfamiliar with the area and don't know about the history, routes, or situation, so I don't really have an opinion one way or another. You sound like a committed local, and I've certainly enjoyed your TR's here, so I wish you well in working out your local situation.

Unless you're using a Ouija board to consult Alex Lowe, I'm uncertain who you're referring to. Presumably the TR problem's FA party?

As far as ASCA goes, their site states: "The ASCA returns classic climbing routes to their original danger level by replacing deteriorating old fixed anchors, usually bolts, with modern camouflaged gear. We do not add bolts to make climbs "safer." Climbing is inherently extremely dangerous." I'm sure this is their policy, and if bolts they had supplied were used to retrobolt TR problems it was not with their consent. They supply hardware to volunteers who do the work, the ASCA does not have complete control over what individuals do with the hardware they supply.

Were the removed hangers stamped ASCA? If so, if you have proof their hardware was misused, you should take it up with them, I'd guess they would be very interested to know. If you register a complaint in a reasonable manner and get a snarky dismissive response, that would be some evidence of failure to follow through on their policy, but I don't believe your accusation has merit at this time.

the "no merit" was probably in reference to the accusation that ASCA was aware and gave the OK to add bolts instead of replacing bolts.

If it such a travesty and you speak for the majority, why not just rip them out yourself? If you are in the minority who is upset by this, then maybe you should just yield and save the stress. Either way, you got better things to do.

Is this crag really that important? (I have no idea what it looks like but it sounds small) I mean it is not beacon or anything. :)

I can't believe you guys are supporting adding bolts to 20+ year old climbs.

where is your reading comprehension? Where did anyone say adding the bolts is OK? My point was either shit or get of the pot. Go get rid of the bolts instead of whining here about it. F'in AK pansies. Maybe I should buy raindawg a plane ticket and he can fix your "problem" for you.