What Car do you drive?

SemoreJugs

One other thing you may want to consider is an older, cheaper truck and using the money saved for gas.

Say you have $13k and buy a newish Subie with good mpg. How about picking up an older 4x4 (say 4Runner or similar) for around $5k and using the surplus eight grand for gas, the occasional repair, upgrades, etc.

I've got a '91 4Runner (stock 4cyl in 5-spd manual, but with the 31x10.5x15 tire option giving it quite a bit of clearance) and it's an awesome backroad and Ghost vehicle. With proper 4x4 and low range, it'll take me anywhere I can think of, makes short work of logging roads, is pretty much unstoppable in snow unless you plow into a huge drift and, while admittedly not getting the best gas mileage and requiring the odd repair, it's still much cheaper than buying a newer truck. Sure, it'll only do 130km/h and that's with a tailwind and downhill, but the speed limit around here is 90 anyways!

And with a newer truck I'd be much more hesitant about heading into the Ghost and bouncing off the occasional rock.

That and there's tons of space in it for sleeping and enough cargo to swallow gear for a very long roadtrip.

FWIW, I took the same approach with my car: $11k for an out-of-warranty 2002 instead of $25k for a 2006 with another two years of coverage left. Two years later and it's had one repair for all of $800... you do the math.

Edited by RafalA

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! F@#$ the cars. Where can I get me a sweet pair of bibs like that? Really dig the double suspender action as well. :)...

um...I'm assuming you are yanking my chain, but on the off chance you aren't: You can find the pattern ($12) at Seattlefabrics.com as well as the $45 worth of goretex fabric and side zippers. Or you can pony up $300 to buy them new at various online retailers. The other pair of suspenders are from my bunting bibs, underneath.

I'm driving a '94 Subaru Loyale wagon, the last of the old boxy ones. It gets 30mpg all-around, and I just got 36 on a round trip to Portland (with a few tricks). The lighter weight helps (2600lbs vs. 3600 for the outbacks), as does the part-time 4wd. It's FWD until you push the button, then it's 4wd with a locked center diff and open front and rear diffs. The older ones, pre-1988 I think, had 4-low.

Of course, it doesn't have airbags, side impact beams, ABS, cruise control, or cupholders. Sleeping in the back is doable, but not roomy. They need new timing belts every 60K miles, but if one breaks it won't ruin the engine. And they're cheap, $2k around here.

As my only car, it's a great compromise between highway MPG and utility for every-weekend climbing/skiing/backpacking/biking trips. I'm always taking 3-4 people to the hills, and it's just barely big enough (slow & light?).

I could afford a nicer / safer / bigger car, but this one gets the job done, so I'll keep it for a while.

2429406229_be7539a9cb.jpg

How are these cars for speed/power? I realize they are a small 1.6L engine, but are you able to maintain 60mph the majority of the time on the highway, or is it below that a lot? also, how is the power going up steep hills (mountain passes, for example)?

I am in between getting either an old loyale or an outback, I like the loyale being 2wd OR 4wd (not just AWD) but I like the power the outback has for mountain passes...

I do a lot of highway driving across BC and Alberta and so going through mountain passes (such as in BC) at 30mph in my old 4runner was quite annoying all the time...

The Loyales have 1.8L engines, 90HP. With 2 people it'll do 55 up Snoqualmie pass in 4th gear; with 3-4 people and gear it's more like 50 in 3rd gear. It'll do 75+ on the flats no problem.

It used to get 26-28mpg when I floored it everywhere, now it's averaging 34 because I'm driving the speed limit, coasting down hills, and not idling.

It helps to pull the AC fuse in winter so you can run the defogger without turning on the AC, which drags on the engine a bit. I also pulled the clutching fan for the winter. The electric fan is still there. And I pulled the power steering pump, who needs it? It's not so bad if you drain & plug the lines, I can still get into & out of parking spots with coffee in one hand... did I mention no cupholders?

I've had a Subaru Forester for about 5 years now. Bought a '98 with 35,000 miles. Had a major oil leak (front seal) a couple of years ago, and that's been it. 700 to get it fixed.

I have driven it hard. Probably a few thousand miles racing on logging roads, many miles in the snow, and it seems to be holding up pretty well. My wife has a newer Outback. Not as rough a car. Wouldn't want to beat it up like I do my Forester. Pretty good room-I'm 6' 2" and have slept in it a few times. Pretty good clearance, maybe a little more than the Outback? And if that is a major concern, a lift kit would be reasonable and kinda fun.

Oh and 24'ish mpg with bigger tires and brushguard etc.

Someone previously mentioned some kinda 4 by 4 that they bought rough, that gets good gas mileage and has lots of room. sounded like a good option. I definitely wouldn't get a nicer car for back country shit, getting all worried about busting through bushes and such.

The Loyales have 1.8L engines, 90HP. With 2 people it'll do 55 up Snoqualmie pass in 4th gear; with 3-4 people and gear it's more like 50 in 3rd gear. It'll do 75+ on the flats no problem.

It used to get 26-28mpg when I floored it everywhere, now it's averaging 34 because I'm driving the speed limit, coasting down hills, and not idling.

It helps to pull the AC fuse in winter so you can run the defogger without turning on the AC, which drags on the engine a bit. I also pulled the clutching fan for the winter. The electric fan is still there. And I pulled the power steering pump, who needs it? It's not so bad if you drain & plug the lines, I can still get into & out of parking spots with coffee in one hand... did I mention no cupholders?

Sounds like it's quicker than my truck! that's better already.

How much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking. They seem to go for pretty cheap up here (<$1000 on average)

Any issues with the 4wd system? Or is it overall, quite reliable?

thanks!

I got mine 4 years ago for $2400 with 135k on the clock. It's at 212k now. No problems with the 4wd whatsoever. It's gone through some brakes & timing belts & a new radiator, starter, and alternator. All of this can be done at home.

Avoid the automatics (no power, horrible MPG) and the turbos (blown head gaskets as a rule).

I got mine 4 years ago for $2400 with 135k on the clock. It's at 212k now. No problems with the 4wd whatsoever. It's gone through some brakes & timing belts & a new radiator, starter, and alternator. All of this can be done at home.

Avoid the automatics (no power, horrible MPG) and the turbos (blown head gaskets as a rule).

Awesome! Thanks for all the info!

I have a 2002 Outback- bought it 4+ yeas ago. Going from 58,000-114,000 miles has required very little outside routine maintenance, some warped brake rotors, that was about it.

Pros: super reliable, with studless snows and AWD that thing is a fantastic snow car (with 1 exception), lots or room for gear and I can sleep in the back at 5' 10" with pretty broad shoulders. Gets decent mileage and as TimL showed this summer it does close to 100 MPH pretty well when loaded with gear. :wazup:

Cons: clearance. I was following my bro in his Forester on some pretty rough FS roads this summer and bottomed out a few times where he was fine. My main bitch, since I live in snow country, is that the wheel wells get plugged with snow easily. If that shit freezes its a bitch to clear.

Alright folks, so my 1997 Olds Cutlass finally bit the dust when I was rear ended (the car) on I-5 and it was determined to be a total loss. So I was out at the car dealership and took a 2011 Outback for a test drive. Now I've been infected. Who thinks I should pull the trigger and pick up one of these pimp ass rides?

98 Volvo V70 XC Wagon with AWD and the 2.4turbo. It is a tank and 190k on it and drives like a dream. Eats snow and ice. I'm addicted to my car and it was CHEAP.

How is the clearance? How is it on logging roads?

What is your average MPG?

Sleep in the back? Any problems since you've owned it?

Steve. Clearance is good enough. It's not a monster truck, but it is more than enough for logging roads and 99% of the approaches around here. average mpg is 20-22. I am 6'1" and can sleep in the back, but its a little tight with the lady back there because I fit better diagonally. and no problems as of yet...