Alpental Conditions Update

Jens

I was surprised to find far less ice than I would have thought. Mostly just pencil thin stuff over rock. Lots of new snow. If you are going up the Alpental Valley at all (even on the trail) bring floatation. Lots of new snow.

The trip Ended with shopping at the North Bend outlet Mall and then the gym.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpental 1 (or 4) depending on who you talk to - the first long slab with the short steep topout finish is in. Weekendclimber and I climbed it today as did several other parties. A donkey trail is now in.

------------------------------------------

If you find a Quark ice tool, I lost one in an avalanche that carried me a ways near the route early this morning. We couldn't find it in about 1-2 hours of digging.

I was with the party after JENS, sorry to say we did not stumble upon your tool, and the description of being "IN" is totally subjective, climbable yes, protectable... barely, especially after four of us ran laps on it and destroyed most of the slush which made up the bottom 3/4.

On sunday, The Fitz, reported that the chockstone was "IN" (under the same context described above), though a wallow to get to it, several sluff slides from time to time, threatened their gear as well, nothing lost.

Skied around Chair Pk yesterday and took a few pics that might be of interest. First pic is the W side of Chair from the Melakwa lakes basin. Second is the other side of the same basin. Last pic is Flow Reversal above Source Lake. Chockstone Falls looked in as well.around_Chair_Pk_dec_10_027.jpgaround_Chair_Pk_dec_10_025.jpgaround_Chair_Pk_dec_10_002.jpg

Edited by bigeo

Was also up in the area on Saturday. We were the only morons wandering around without flotation. Saw some good sign. We went up to check out this section. Looked better than most! Wasn't long by any means. Never got higher than my axe as the trees above us starting raining snow on us pretty regularly. Then we realized we had one helmet between us. Another day.

And next time we'll bring snowshoes.

IMG_4855.JPGIMG_4859.JPG

Nice pics all. Looks like a great day out! Xhen, that first pic with you approaching is looking directly at "Kiddie Cliff", looking not worth it in it's current shape.

The second pick is a close up of the first, once we got up there. Glad it's familiar to someone :)

Not sure about the conditions, but temps look better for the Alpental area. However, given that just about everyone from Washington is heading mcuh farther east I’d suspect it’s still a bit out. I’m with you though.... I’m going to climb the bell tower if I don’t get out of Eugene soon :)