Tilly Jane A-Frame on Mt. Hood

russinvancouver

Everyone should note that overnight stays at the A-Frame near Cooper Spur are by reservation only. You get one at:

http://www.onc.org/CalendarTJ

And pay your $15/person/night fee in advance by check or PayPal.

Please pass this info to all your skiing and snow shoeing friends.

The ONC plans to make necessary repairs to the A-Frame and prevent its closure.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the Tilly Jane A-Frame? And when did this become a pay to stay thing? Of course I moved away last year so I haven't been paying attention...

Not to say it's a bad idea...the place could probably use some income to keep such a neat historical building up to some standard.

I always wondered why it was free to hang there. I liked it, but thought that someone must be getting stuck re-roofing and doing maintenance. Always wondered who. $15 is reasonable, and perhaps it will keep the dickhead quotient down, I've heard of a couple of folks leaving some gear there to day trip up onto the mountain and being ripped off.

The nordic club has managed it for years but the fee and restricted use were never part of the deal in the past. As early as 5 years ago I was told by the person I spoke to at the nordic club that even though our group had reserved it we could not turn anyone away.

I have many fond memories of meeting new friends, sharing beverages and swapping stories in that place en route to skiing or climbing on the north side.

This blows.

The nordic club has managed it for years but the fee and restricted use were never part of the deal in the past. As early as 5 years ago I was told by the person I spoke to at the nordic club that even though our group had reserved it we could not turn anyone away.

I have many fond memories of meeting new friends, sharing beverages and swapping stories in that place en route to skiing or climbing on the north side.

This blows.

indeed it does blow, and is part of a trend in the hopey-changey outdoorsy world

you're big n' brawny enough rob i'd like to see these folks, miles from any authority figure, try to tell you you couldn't spend the night :)

Signage was posted at the TJ trailhead a couple months ago, the door will be kept locked. I didn't write down the contact information back then, but today a quick call to the Hood River Ranger District (541-352-6002, ext. 0) revealed that reservations can be made through Rick Kednay at 503-285-6089. That number is no longer in service. ??? Glad to see the reservations linky posted on this thread above.

The Nordic club has maintained the hut with a lot of volunteer work over the years. It is usually kept very clean and well stocked. I have always felt grateful to stay there in the past and sure look forward to staying there again in the future.

Rich Kednay sadly passed away this past year. He was a hardworking and selfless caretaker for the A-Frame for many years.

I believe ONC took a lease on the A-Frame through the Forest Service this year. You can book the shelter on ONC's web site - http://onc.org/CalendarTJ. ONC are good people and I believe they will do their best to manage the A-Frame true to Rich's legacy and hardworking vision. Although the door will now be locked, I would imagine that on most weekends you will find someone there, and those folks will hopefully be welcoming to cold and tired skiers and other backcountry users.

• 1 month later...

Prior to this year the A-frame was managed by Rich with Friends of Tilly Jane. This was done without a lease from the USFS. The USFS now requires a lease and liability insurance, something FOTJ could not provide. The USFS was on the verger of condemning the A-Frame as they have the nearby Cook Shed. Our Portland Chapter of the Oregon Nordic Club has invested $2000 to keep it open this year with a one year lease. If all goes well we hope to extend that lease and keep it open.

The structure had an architectural review in 2002 that identified $287,000 in needed repairs. We can haggle about what really needs to be done but without a $20,000-30,000 roof and new toilets it is going to close. We are in dire need of funding and grants – send your ideas my way please. The paltry $15 we ask per night for reservations is NOT going to fund repairs.

We have limited overnight use to 20 to prevent over crowding. I've seen 35 people plus dogs in past years and that is not a good experience. The A-Frame will continue to be the only structure on the mountain that welcomes day trippers. If you stop in to warm please drop a few bucks in the donation box to pay for that warmth – it cost us $1250 for wood and hundreds of volunteer hours to cart it from the Cloud Cap road to the A-Frame.

By the way, it was never free to stay there as some assert. We did have lots of freeloaders who disregarded the donation box. My late friend, Rich Kednay, was subsidizing operations out of his own pocket. I miss him every time I ski there or do my Wilderness advocacy for Hood.

Hope to see you skiing in the Cooper Spur area,

Cheers,

Russ Pascoe

For reservations email to both:

"Pascoe, Russ" "Julius Dalzell"

or visit: http://www.onc.org/CalendarTJ/

Hey Russ,

Thank you for your update on the TJ Hut, was wondering what had brought about the recent changes. Anyone visiting over the past few years could see the need for repairs. Maybe the climbing community will want to help beyond the volunteer efforts of guys like Zac Reisner. I will contact you tomorrow.

Bill