[TR] Cascade Mountain (South Wasatch) - Grr Couloir 11/22/2010

Trip: Cascade Mountain (South Wasatch) - Grr Couloir

Date: 11/22/2010

Trip Report:

Snow couloirs, with a few exceptions, are the closest thing we have to alpine ice here in the Wasatch. I have been eye-ing the couloirs on Cascade for a while as a couple of them seemed from the topo to be fairly steep. The one we chose, Grr Couloir, was only around 35 degrees on average, providing a good workout, but not the steeper ice we were looking for. The search continues. . .

Cascade_Summit_Routes_Southside1.png

92898.jpg

Note: This isn't my photo (borrowed from summitpost) and we were climbing in more winter like conditions.

680486.JPG

680483.jpg

680479.JPG

680478.jpg

P1010013.JPG I'm freezing my but off in the 30-50mph gusts.

P1010009.JPG

Mike says, "Where's the hard climbing?"

All complaining about routes aside, we were glad to get out and have mountains so close.

Gear Notes:

Helmet, crampons, ice axe.

Approach Notes:

Hike up rock canyon, through the campground and north up Squaw Peak Road (3.5 miles, 2100 feet to here). Then bushwhack for 15 minutes.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let you know what I see if I drive up the canyon, but my guess is you could find stuff to climb. This is probably the first full week it has stayed under freezing ( noaa forecast). Bridal Viel is almost certainly still flowing. Some other lurkers here might have better beta, though.

Its been a weird fall. It'll get cold, then we'll have a day when its in the upper 40s in the valley. Maybe the result will be good for ice. . . I dunno.