Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • olyclimber


      We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  

[TR] Cascade Mountain (South Wasatch) - Grr Couloir 11/22/2010

Recommended Posts

Trip: Cascade Mountain (South Wasatch) - Grr Couloir


Date: 11/22/2010


Trip Report:

Snow couloirs, with a few exceptions, are the closest thing we have to alpine ice here in the Wasatch. I have been eye-ing the couloirs on Cascade for a while as a couple of them seemed from the topo to be fairly steep. The one we chose, Grr Couloir, was only around 35 degrees on average, providing a good workout, but not the steeper ice we were looking for. The search continues. . .





Note: This isn't my photo (borrowed from summitpost) and we were climbing in more winter like conditions.










P1010013.JPG I'm freezing my but off in the 30-50mph gusts.



Mike says, "Where's the hard climbing?"


All complaining about routes aside, we were glad to get out and have mountains so close.


Gear Notes:

Helmet, crampons, ice axe.


Approach Notes:

Hike up rock canyon, through the campground and north up Squaw Peak Road (3.5 miles, 2100 feet to here). Then bushwhack for 15 minutes.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll let you know what I see if I drive up the canyon, but my guess is you could find stuff to climb. This is probably the first full week it has stayed under freezing ( noaa forecast). Bridal Viel is almost certainly still flowing. Some other lurkers here might have better beta, though.


Its been a weird fall. It'll get cold, then we'll have a day when its in the upper 40s in the valley. Maybe the result will be good for ice. . . I dunno.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the first pitch got quite a bit of traffic today too. . .


I put some photos up on the page I linked above, I would post them here but cc.com isn't letting me today.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this