(Lack of) Ice - Frenchman Coulee

tradhead

Went sport climbing at the Coulee today. Looked at Frenchmans and Fugs Falls which are both not anywhere close to climbable. I realize that it is early in the ice season, but wanted to pass the info on to save people the trip if they were wondering if any of this stuff is in yet.

Here's a photo of Fugs Falls:

fugs_falls_11-20-2010.jpg

I don't have any pictures of Frenchman's Falls as I was driving, but suffice it to say that it was running strong. We did see a huge porcupine on the road by the falls; pretty cool.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuggs, Frenchman's and everything along Highway 155 from Sun Lakes State Park to Electric City freezes up reliably every year. The Cable and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues/Children of the Sun are probably the least reliable, but they both come in every year just the same. So yes, it's worth the trip, and you should be able to hitch a ride in a carpool from Seattle quite easily once it comes in. It's like Mecca for the WA ice climber... there'll be a ton of zealots making the pilgrimage.

Look for updates from Paul Dietrich on this board.

Thanks for the update. Yeah I mean it's not even Thanksgiving yet! :) If we had weather this cold that started this early every year, no one would go Lillooet :)

Here is what the place looks like when there is some ice...

Edited by Alex