New simple GPS recommendations for climbing?

OlympicMtnBoy

So my venerable Garmin Geko 301, after probably 8 years and thousands of miles being beat up in my pocket, has finally kicked the bucket. I'm actually still frantically trying to get my waypoints off it while it only intermittently powers on and drains batteries in a matter of minutes.

So I guess I need a new one but I see all these new touch screen 3-d maps, talk to your SPOT, make phone calls, etc units. Is there something out there that just has good reception, is small, light, durable, and has a barometric altimeter? I normally just take waypoints at breaks, occasionally enter locations to find, and use the altimeter. It doesn't need to have maps or anything fancy.

I really liked the Gecko 301 but it's been discontinued (although the Foretrex is basically the same thing). There must be something out there though that has the improved signal reception of newer unit though and isn't limited to 500 waypoints and 6 character names like the old Garmins (and the Foretrex).

Suggestions? Or should I just send my Geko back to Garmin who offered to send me a refurb for $80.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to know as well.

FYI, my driod x has an app called "backcountry navigator" that if you have cell reception, uses real-time online maps. If you aren't online and pre-plan you can download a map of the area in question, and the built in gps has it act like a regular "old fashioned" gps unit. The only drawback I see is fucking up a nice phone in the backcountry.

I would think the drawback would be not being able to Twitter when at the crux of your new route.

But seriously, i'd like a simple GPS as previously described. something very accurate on location (including elevation).

I'd rather leave the phone at home or at least buried deeply in my pack.

the 500 waypoint limit on the foretrex 401 unit seems like a pretty minor issue. I don't have anywhere near that number in mine.

Then again, I rarely bring a gps on a mountaineering trip...and when i do i just load in the WPs I need for that climb and dump them when I'm done.

the foretrex does everything else i might need - in the smallest possible package.

i still use an etrex vista hcx and am perfectly happy with it.

I don't mean that the 500 waypoint limit is a problem, it's just that it's the exact same technology (with memory limitations) as the Geko that is 8 or 9 years old. I know that there are newer better antennae and that solid state memory is damn cheap. Is there anything that has some of these newer things built in? The Foretrex is just a repackaged Geko and I could just spend the $80 to get a refurb Geko. Does no one make a simple GPS anymore?

The phone option is very cool and I have some friends doing that, except that work pays for my basic phone and no data plan. I don't like having those extra monthly fees, and I have broken a few phones and don't want to have an expensive one (mostly water damage).

The etrex vista hcx is onsale at REI, but still not sold on that over the geko.

I'm going through the same thing although my Map60 still works (albeit poorly). I've tried the phone option but their biggest weak point is battery life and durability.

My Map60 gets terrible reception and the internal memory is too small to hold maps for the entire state.

I believe the Foretrex is actually running a newer antenna than your old Geko. I ran that by a rep and all the non-quad-helix models are using what is generically referred to as the High Sensitivity antenna. Same as on my Vista and the Oregon touch-screen models.

I've never had a need for the bulky quad-helix models like the new 62s.

Those are the only two options I know of.

As a previous poster alluded, the GPS unit in a cell phone will only work when you are within cell range, unlike standard GPS units which work as long as you can see some satellites. To me that makes a cell phone GPS unreliable.

Edited by pcg

OMG Gene and Layton, my problems are solved! Now I even have a good reason to wear my goggles around town! Enhanced reality here I come! Can these do Google Goggles too?

JFS, thanks, I hadn't heard the the Foretrex had the newer antennae, I guess that came with the 301/401 version. Maybe I'll think about that one again since there don't seem to be any other contenders just yet. It still looks like the same OS as the Geko though. Is it still limited to 6 characters for naming waypoints too?